Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Official Florida is Fucked Hurricane thread (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=25146)

Torn Rose 2005-10-23 12:28 PM

My bad, I went to the local news site that still had last nights map up, serves me right for not looking at the time posted.

It has finally moved off Mexico and looks like Havana is getting it now.... HURRY UP DAMMIT, I want this shit over with.

Cleo 2005-10-23 12:35 PM

Torn have your wife start waving her boobs

MrYum 2005-10-23 02:55 PM

Final preparations done...all secure and ready to go.

Best of luck to all my fellow Floridians...hang on bubba |hurricane

cd34 2005-10-23 04:44 PM

Cleaned the gutters. Every bit of debris trapped in the gutters ended up on me. And I think some dirt from the ground splashed up on me too.

Thank you for calling WilmaPhone, Today's remaining showtimes are:

A Perfect Storm, 8pm, 10pm, 12am, 2am
Twister, 8pm, 10pm, 12am, 2am
Cast-Away, 8pm, 10pm, 12am, 2am
Mosquito Coast, 9pm, 11pm, 1am, 3am
Hard Rain, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 12am
followed up with
Point Break, 4am

Cleo 2005-10-23 05:21 PM

I'm fucking bored!

Waking up at sunrise and putting up shutters is not a good way to start the day. I keep on thinking it is night and then I remember that I have the shutters up.

Just woke up from a little nap. Probably should try to get some work done but I'm so distracted that I don't seem to have any focus.

Oh yeah, Vette is acting up. One of the sensors for the traction control system must have gotten water in it the other night when the parking lot that it was parked in flooded. This has happened before so I had needed information printed out and stashed in its glove box. Basically the dash tells me that there is a malfunction and the car will be running at reduced power and the check engine light comes on. The car then will not go much faster then about 20 mph and I then have to pull over, shut off the engine, turn the key to on without starting, press the reset to clear out any displayed errors, press and hold the option button and then press the fuel button four times within four seconds, then it displays all the diagnostic codes and I can clear them all out, then remove the key, then start the engine. Last time this happened all was well in a few days after everything dried out so I'm hoping this is the case again. At least I have the top secret codes found by using Google until it either stops acting up or it goes in for service or I guess explodes. www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/9915/

MrYum 2005-10-23 06:41 PM

And so it begins...

Just had the first couple rain bands pass through here...added about half an inch of water to the pool in 20 minutes.

Will probably pull the systems down and unplug before the power goes out and forces the UPS to kick in.

Be safe everyone |hurricane

waz 2005-10-23 06:48 PM

i think i'm missing most of it i'm in lakeland FL they do have tornados east and west of us right now i think they said like 20 mins away

Cleo 2005-10-23 08:39 PM

This isn't good,
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
"Broward County will likely take the hardest hit from a hurricane than at any time in more than 40 years when Wilma moves through the area over the next 24 hours, emergency management officials warned Sunday evening.

The core of Wilma is expected to move through Broward around dawn with sustained winds of 80 mph and gusts of up 100 mph. Conditions also will be ripe for strong tornadoes to form and bring more damage."

I've got one friend that is going to ride out this thing in a prefab home (mobile home without wheels) and another that lives in the second floor apartment with no shutters and the apartment is all huge windows. They are showing crazy people down in the Keys that are going to ride it out on their docked boats.

I may be bored but at least I'm in a concrete block home with full shutters.

RawAlex 2005-10-23 09:13 PM

This may be a tough one because the storm is coming from the other direction, which might put you all on a different wind pattern and all. Hopefully the storm will pick up speed and pass over Florida quickly, rather than dwelling like it did in Cancun (maybe it needed a vacation?).

At least Alpha isn't headed anywhere near you.

Alex

Linkster 2005-10-23 09:52 PM

Alex (and CLeo) - the biggest problem with it moving so fast over Fla is that it wont have time to lose strength as they normally do - theyre saying now that its gonna be going around 30 mph across - so it could very well just weaken to a Cat 2 (yeah it will be a Cat 3 in a few hours) with easily around 100 mph sustained winds and 130 mph gusts on the east coast as it leaves Broward - also remember that the speed of its movement adds effects to how fast the winds are really felt - so while the winds will be measured in one spot at 110 mph - the effects of it with a forward speed of 30 mph will make it do damage at the level of 140 mph winds or so

Cleo 2005-10-23 10:29 PM

The only good thing is all the trees on the west side of my property have already fallen, and gone through my roof, in the previous storms. At least if any more fall they should fall away from my house. Not real good for my next door neighbor but good for me. The real big ficus in my backyard would actually fall on the power lines that run through my backyard which would take out the service to my house and my entire block so at least FPL would probably be fairly fast at fixing things.

Also there is a cold front moving in on Tuesday so only having a one room A/C shouldn't be a problem at all.

I feel like I'm coming down with something but maybe it's just the stress of all of this. I'm so over these storms. :(

Torn Rose 2005-10-23 10:29 PM

News says a tornado hit 10 miles north of us 30 mins ago.... Not even windy here, we had some lightning and rain, but nothing big yet.

Thinking of ordering a pizza…

Joneze 2005-10-23 10:41 PM

Be safe everyone and batten down the hatches.

It looks really close to Florida now.

MrYum 2005-10-23 10:56 PM

Yea, after my last post...things settled down again...just a very light breeze. In the last hour or so, rain bands are coming through again...still not much wind though.

Looks like landfall is going to be a ways south of us, so we'll most likely only get tropical storm force winds. But, I've got this place locked down for whatever Wilma has to throw at us.

Definitely doesn't look like she's gonna hang out like she did in Mexico. A wham bam thank you mam kinda gal here in Florida...what a slut :D

Tart 2005-10-24 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn
News says a tornado hit 10 miles north of us 30 mins ago.... Not even windy here, we had some lightning and rain, but nothing big yet.

Thinking of ordering a pizza…

only about a 2 miles from me... in fact I drove past the place on my way home from a meeting earlier today. Here's hoping that is the worst we have to deal with out of this storm.
Stay safe everyone.. I've got my laptop battery charged and my dial up numbers on hand just in case power goes out (part of my hurricane plan :) )

tickler 2005-10-24 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawAlex
At least Alpha isn't headed anywhere near you.

It almost looks like it's going to pair up with Wilma east of Florida and run up along the coast.

MrYum 2005-10-24 01:32 AM

Alrighty...time to shut this thing down and get some sleep. Looks like I'll be waking up to some wind and rain in a few hours :D

Take good care Floridians...be safe :)

MeatPounder 2005-10-24 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickler
It almost looks like it's going to pair up with Wilma east of Florida and run up along the coast.

A&W still makes the best root beer

Surfn 2005-10-24 06:27 AM

I see Wilma passed through the keys and is coming onto the mainland...stay safe folks |thumb

Cleo 2005-10-24 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Storm woke me up. Sounds like a fright train is driving past me house.

Power is going on and off, probably going to have to go on generator power soon. Actually as I'm typing this the power seems to have gone off for good.

Eye will be passing over me in a bit. Guess I should go get the generator started.

Surfn 2005-10-24 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleo
Storm woke me up. Sounds like a fright train is driving past me house.

Power is going on and off, probably going to have to go on generator power soon. Actually as I'm typing this the power seems to have gone off for good.

Eye will be passing over me in a bit. Guess I should go get the generator started.

They are predicting the Atlantic side will have the biggest storm surge. Keep your waders handy.

Chop Smith 2005-10-24 07:05 AM

Ya'll hold on down there.
Does anyone know if Simon evacuated the rock he lives on?

Surfn 2005-10-24 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chop Smith
Ya'll hold on down there.
Does anyone know if Simon evacuated the rock he lives on?

No he didn't :(

I watched the Sheriff interviewed on Fox News and he said they only had 10% evacuate of the 78,000 residents of key west |shocking|

Cleo 2005-10-24 07:12 AM

That was exciting, had to make to make to the electric main which is located in my backyard about as far from my garage as it could be to disconnect from the grid before starting the generator. Note to self, next time top off the generator's fuel tank before the storm hits, was only a quarter full.

I had to hold on to things to keep from getting blown over. Opening the wooden gate to my backyard was interesting. :D

I think Simon was going to ride out the storm at his home. I hope he makes it through ok.

Wow this thing is loud. So much for going back to sleep. I feel like I drink ten cups of espresso.

Beachbum 2005-10-24 07:16 AM

Power out for the second time here, winds have really picked up in the last 30 min. Other than that all is well here. Hell I'm ready to go back to bed lol.
Stay safe everyone.