Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Link Lists & Getting Listed (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Free Sites On Sponsor Host? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=38396)

Tekster 2007-02-18 06:53 AM

Free Sites On Sponsor Host?

If the sponsor offers free hosting, is it ok to build free sites and host them there? Would they get accepted by LL? (Example would be Silvercash since they offer content and free hosting)

I probably know the answer (No Free Hosting) but I figured I ask to make sure. :D

Mateusz 2007-02-18 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekAngel (Post 332459)
I probably know the answer

Yes you know it :) Hosting your free sites on any kind of free/revshare host is easiest way to get declined and most likely banned

mihai 2007-02-18 07:46 PM

what Mateusz said :(

MrYum 2007-02-18 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateusz (Post 332471)
Yes you know it :) Hosting your free sites on any kind of free/revshare host is easiest way to get declined and most likely banned

You'll find that answer is true pretty much across the board with link sites.

Mr Spock 2007-02-19 01:21 AM

I believe if you are using sponsor hosting and the the domain you submit from is yourdomain.sponsor.com then you will be declined everywhere - makes sense as no LL accept submits from a sub-domain.

However, what is the case with sponsor hosting where you are using your own TLD and are merely using the sponsors servers, your submitting domain being: your domain.com.

I would imagine that under that scenario you should be able to submit to LL and get listed?

Tekster 2007-02-19 04:36 AM

Thanks All,

I got it, no free hosts, of any kind. I thought so but my answer lady was not around to ask for the last couple of days. :D

Greenguy 2007-02-19 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Spock (Post 332601)
...However, what is the case with sponsor hosting where you are using your own TLD and are merely using the sponsors servers, your submitting domain being: your domain.com...

No. Sponsor Hosted = Free Hosted in the eyes of most LL's.

MrYum 2007-02-19 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Spock (Post 332601)
I believe if you are using sponsor hosting and the the domain you submit from is yourdomain.sponsor.com then you will be declined everywhere - makes sense as no LL accept submits from a sub-domain.

However, what is the case with sponsor hosting where you are using your own TLD and are merely using the sponsors servers, your submitting domain being: your domain.com.

I would imagine that under that scenario you should be able to submit to LL and get listed?

Nope, that doesn't fly either.

As Greenie mentioned...free hosting is free hosting, no matter whether it's on your own domain or not. And it is something that's checked by most all reviewers.

hjnet 2007-02-19 11:07 AM

And considering that most sponsors buy the cheapest bandwidth they could get you'll most likely loose more money due to longer loading times, routing issues or other stuff than you'd gain by saving a few $$$ for your own server.

Kenny B! 2007-02-19 03:23 PM

If the sponsor offers to host your domain on their server then you are not using sponsor hosted galleries, just the sponsor for your hosting. And I don't think anyone will decline you for that, just use a full domain and not a sub domain.

There are some sponsors that will do this for you |waves|

Linkster 2007-02-19 03:32 PM

Kenny - you need to read the thread again - LLs will NOT accept domains hosted on sponsors hosting - no ifs ands or buts :) It doenst matter if its a subdomain, a real domain or a domain they transfer over - No sponsor hosting at all

/added - its the easiest and fastest way to get put on the blacklist :)

emmanuelle 2007-02-19 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjnet (Post 332681)
And considering that most sponsors buy the cheapest bandwidth they could get you'll most likely loose more money due to longer loading times, routing issues or other stuff than you'd gain by saving a few $$$ for your own server.

I take offense to that. While it's not the least bit related to this thread, I gladly pay for premium hosting, as do most other program owners that I know personally. Servers that run flawlessly are crucial to my business. I cannot imagine where you dug up this little gem of misinformation.

Greenguy 2007-02-19 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmanuelle (Post 332707)
I take offense to that. While it's not the least bit related to this thread, I gladly pay for premium hosting, as do most other program owners that I know personally. Servers that run flawlessly are crucial to my business. I cannot imagine where you dug up this little gem of misinformation.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the bandwidth & servers some sponsors use for their "free" sponsor hosting option.

Kenny B! 2007-02-19 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 332704)
Kenny - you need to read the thread again - LLs will NOT accept domains hosted on sponsors hosting - no ifs ands or buts :) It doenst matter if its a subdomain, a real domain or a domain they transfer over - No sponsor hosting at all

Really? I had no idea! Just out of curiosity how would a LL owner know who is hosing the domain?

Greenguy 2007-02-19 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny B! (Post 332710)
Really? I had no idea! Just out of curiosity how would a LL owner know who is hosing the domain?

If we told you that, you'd then start looking for ways around it & then we'd have to figure those out & then you'd try to find new ways around it.....

Kenny B! 2007-02-19 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 332714)
If we told you that, you'd then start looking for ways around it & then we'd have to figure those out & then you'd try to find new ways around it.....

I'm not looking to cheat anyone, just curious how it would be possible to verify who's paying the hosting bill.

Greenguy 2007-02-19 04:15 PM

You might not be looking, but who knows who's reading this thread :D

Linkster 2007-02-19 06:32 PM

Quote:

I agree with Greenie above - the hosting that most programs use for thier "sponsored domain hosting" and revshare hosting just plain sucks - I can think of 2 programs right off the top that do not suck - every other one Ive seen (and monitored) are up and down like a (fill in the blank with a catchy phrase) :)

hjnet 2007-02-20 02:32 AM

Quote:

I've written "most" and not "all", so there are for sure some exceptions, but from my personal experience with some big programs I have to say that most of them use cogent for their free hosting. But I've mostly used sponsor free hosting for movie galleries in the past, so I didn't have a problem with that.
But a FreeSite doesn't eat up much BW anyway, so it's not worth to take the risk and put it on a free host IMHO.

biztro 2007-02-20 12:39 PM

I have no problems with freesites on free hosting. As long as its online it nor changed since validated it will be listed.

fresh 2007-02-20 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 332704)

how do they know its sponsor hosting? I have a sponsor hosting at one sponsor- dns shows very reliable and expensive host.

Linkster 2007-02-20 01:09 PM

fresh - read post 15 :)

fresh 2007-02-20 01:22 PM

but still what i wanted to say-sometimes sponsor hosting is better then 50% of paid hosting used by submitters

Greenguy 2007-02-20 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fresh (Post 332887)
but still what i wanted to say-sometimes sponsor hosting is better then 50% of paid hosting used by submitters

While I wouldn't say it's 50%, I will say that I agree with you, which is why there's a lot of hosting companies that are blacklisted as well.

Tekster 2007-02-20 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fresh (Post 332878)
how do they know its sponsor hosting? I have a sponsor hosting at one sponsor- dns shows very reliable and expensive host.

So take a chance that the LL owner will not notice or ban you from further submissions?

I don't think so. If most of the LL owners say NO FREE HOSTING, I think it is perfectly clear that should be NO FREE HOSTING. (Boy, what did I start here?)

As far as I am concerned, I will keep on making my sites and host them on my paid host, if the LL owner is happy, I am happy, and all is good. Why screw up a good thing?