Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Programming & Scripting (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Need Help (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=54070)

CrazySy 2009-08-17 07:54 AM

Need Help

Help me out folks.

I shut my main work computer down on Saturday morning, when I went to power it back up in a few hours, nothing happened! The power light comes on, I can hear the fan running and I get the system logo appears on my monitor and that's it.

I have called a few people and see if I can find a solution but had no luck. I have all my work on that computer :(

Any help would be appreciated and knowing I know shit when it comes to technical stuff, please use simple language (elementary school level...lol).

Again, any help would be appreciated.

spacemanspiff 2009-08-17 08:06 AM

I had that problem a while ago. Never did figure it out. I bought a new pc and put my old hard drive in as a slave drive so I could access all my old files.

LD 2009-08-17 09:34 AM

What system are you running? If you're getting the logo, there's probably some problem loading in the system software. If Windows, have you tried starting up in safe mode?

gnarpen 2009-08-17 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LusciousDelight (Post 461133)
have you tried starting up in safe mode?

How do you do that?

InfoGuy 2009-08-17 10:08 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you have a failing hard drive. The logo for your computer appears on startup because it is loaded from the BIOS on a chip. This is independent of the hard drive. Have you noticed any strange sounds coming from your hard drive, such as clicking or grinding?

Depending on how valuable your data is to you, you may want to consider a professional data recovery service.

If you decide to tackle the problem on your own, the first thing you should do is a full backup to a new hard drive. Look into Norton Ghost. Note that further use of your hard drive in any capacity may cause further damage and may make your data completely unrecoverable, even by pros.

CrazySy 2009-08-17 10:59 AM

LD, I can not do anything at all.

InfoGuy, no strange sound at all. When I power it up, it sounds normal and seems like it's booting up but it stops after 3-4 seconds and after that all I hear is the fan.

LD 2009-08-17 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnarpen (Post 461134)
How do you do that?

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

If that doesn't work, you start from bios and see if the drive is detected at all...at least that's what I would probably do.

CrazySy 2009-08-17 11:46 AM

I just got done removing pretty much every single part, cleaned everything and put them back in place and seems to be working. |loony|

I took the chance |jester|

Time to cover the damn thing up and see what happens :D

LD 2009-08-17 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazySy (Post 461158)
I just got done removing pretty much every single part, cleaned everything and put them back in place and seems to be working. |loony|

I took the chance |jester|

Time to cover the damn thing up and see what happens :D

I would make a backup while it's working...:) maybe two...

CrazySy 2009-08-17 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LusciousDelight (Post 461160)
I would make a backup while it's working...:) maybe two...

|jester|

I am using it now, I don't like laptop that much. This was fucking crazy |crazy|

NY Jester 2009-08-17 12:45 PM

I'd invest in an external drive and use it for your backup files. Hope the problem continues to be avoided.

Allfetish 2009-08-19 04:50 PM

PLEASE make a backup of all information on the drive while you can as the others said. I fix computers for people (that I know) and in the last month two have brought me computers to fix where the drives have been totally gone. They lost all they had because they had no backups.

ArtWilliams 2009-08-19 05:20 PM

A few months ago I bought myself a NAS (Network Attached Storage) box for home. Simpler than running a server, I have auto backups of my XP box and tons of storage for movies and music. It was a couple of hundred bucks but worth the piece of mind knowing my data will be safe.

blinki bill 2009-08-19 07:32 PM

the problem you probably have is that your ram memory goes off; when you start the computer it gives sound if there is problem with the ram and doesn't starts at all but if it's working then and stops working later during the ram check the computer freezes at the system logo screen.
If you remove the ram and put it back usually makes the computer start normally but it's going off slowly and at one point nothing will help
If you have the problem again you can try with replacing the ram

CrazySy 2009-08-19 08:55 PM

Thanks guys, I am going to make a new set up in a couple of days as it still acting up a little. I only had less than a week of work which would have been lost as I have a back up of everything else. This was a wake up call!

blinki bill, that's exactly what one of my old friends told me. He returned my call late as he was on vacation but when I explained the problem, he said the same thing as you said. :)