Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What tools do you use? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=66597)

jollyhumper 2014-04-23 04:39 PM

What tools do you use?

Hi

I am curious and hope you'll bother answering me;

What tools do you use to develop webpages?

I myself is using Dreamweaver CS6 and occasionally the texteditor EditPad Pro.
Photoshop ofcourse and more and more I am using Bridge as well. (It took a long time to learn and like that one)

Jolly

ecchi 2014-04-24 04:44 AM

I use a computer. :)

|couch|

Or being more serious: To create pages I use Wordpad and my brain. No fancy WYSIWYG editors, just what I know about HTML and a basic (well basic-ish) text editor. I was actually taught to write HTML using Notepad and the only reason I don't still use it is because it doesn't word wrap.

To draw graphics I use Gimp. Sometimes for photo manips I'll use Paint Shop Pro on the Amiga.

To upload files, I either use Filezilla or WS FTP depending on which computer I'm using.

To resize pictures and other simple tasks I use Irfan View.

To chek my spilling I use IEspell.

I used to use a dedicated animated GIF creator but that became corrupted a year or so back and I cannot remember it's name. I am sort of looking for a good cheap replacement, but not to urgently as I rarely create animated GIFs.

And to check my sites before uploading I use Internet Explorer 8, FireFox, Chrome, And Safari (Windows version).

As you can see all but 2 of these are free programs. I am a cheapskate!

pc 2014-04-24 05:40 AM

Code-wise Notepad ++ for almost everything , ftp client Total Commander and Google Chrome Web Developer plugin.
For graphics Fireworks with very few basic filters and Arles from Dutch guys.

Cleo 2014-04-24 08:11 AM

A Mac... Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, BBEdit. Plus I still have some old sites that I use GoLive for. Also, a tcsh shell in Terminal for doing rsync instead of using an FTP program but I do occasionally use CyberDuck if I want a GUI browser for my servers.

Ramster 2014-04-24 08:28 AM

Since I use Cute FTP I usually just edit pages in that as it allows you to do so. It's essentially Notepad. Been a while since I built a page from scratch, I just grab a similar page and make the changes I need for the new page/site lol

Toby 2014-04-24 10:54 AM

Dreamweaver CS5.5, Fireworks and Paint Shop Pro

Useless 2014-04-24 12:48 PM

The tools I use most often are old copies of Cute FTP and Cute HTML. I have an acient copy of Photoshop for graphics and image work, as well as Arles, but I rarely touch that stuff anymore.

bDok 2014-04-24 03:29 PM

I use sublime text 2 (bunch of packages installed in it for development), transmit (sftp,ftp), terminal and tmux inside that with spilt windows, vim editor, and chrome dev tools. Those are my daily driver stuff. I have some gui tools for mysql and postgresql management too.

faxxaff 2014-04-27 06:31 AM

The nice thing with cms, I no longer need to keep anything on my own computer. I think Photoshop and Illustrator are the only programs I use to modify images, but I delete all data once it is uploaded. I guess Cyberduck and Terminal are 2 more tools that I use from time to time. No more dreamweaver, ftp, email programs etc. BTW, I disabled ftp on all of my servers. Saves me a lot of problems.

javbucks 2014-04-28 05:31 AM

That based BASEd notepad++

papagmp 2014-04-29 10:20 AM

Adobe Bridge CS2, Adobe Photoshop CS2 (lots of custom actions), NetBeans IDE 7.3, Dreamweaver 8, Sony Vegas 12, Handbrake, Super ©, FreeMake, FireFox 28, (others browsers only to test), FileZilla, WAMP, and Reflect.

lezinterracial 2014-05-03 05:12 PM

FTP: FileZilla
Code Editing: Notepad++

housekeeper 2014-05-05 02:27 PM

Q

The tools I use most are SeaMonkey (browser), I like the developer tools in Chrome and use that often, for browsing I prefer Mozilla, only open IE out of dire necessity, then Faststone (image browser/resizer), which I love! Two FTP clients Filezilla / CuteFTP, and Notepad, and I also use the default file browsers provided by Windows. VLC Player (which I'm becoming disenchanted with), MVC player. Vegas Pro 11, Handbrake (for encoding), These programs stay open all the time, as well as Skype, ICQ.

Rarely use Dreamweaver, except for some slight coding and I do like the FTP client, use it for specific projects. Photoshop CS4 for design and photo editing, but have really been using Faststone more for color and light modifications, cropping and resizing, of which there is always an endless amount of work to be done.

Also run AVG, Malwarebytes & MWB rootkit, occasionally 'highjack this', 'trend housecall', and 'windows defender'. I also find myself in system utilities quite often, DOS command prompt, paint, device manager, task manager.

Probably some I'm missing, Mac is another discussion....