Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Where do you think the stock market is headed? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=42592)

zigx 2007-09-06 04:03 PM

Where do you think the stock market is headed?

Up? Down? Why? Long term... short term?

Im watching CNBC now and i feel like no matter what is going on they just hype the shit out of everything and throw in some panic here and there.

I feel like now is a great time to buy up.... i wish i had an extra 100k laying around to dump in and pull out 5 years from now...

on a side note.... this girl is beautiful: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15838235/ but she looks a LOT better on tv

ecchi 2007-09-12 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigx (Post 364429)
I feel like now is a great time to buy up.... i wish i had an extra 100k laying around to dump in and pull out 5 years from now..

I'd say wait. I think things are going to go down further, so do most of the commentators. If you want to buy, you will be able to buy even cheaper later on.

However, as to investing in the long term, what if there is the crash so many people think will happen? If the companies you invest in go bust, your $100k will be wiped out totally.

Stock buying is a skill, you cannot safely jump on the bandwagon when you think you see an opportunity unless you already have years of practise in calmer times. Either get advice from a GOOD broker, or give it a skip. It is not safe to swim with sharks if you are not trained at shark wrestling.

Bill 2007-09-12 04:41 PM

Everybodies waiting for october, to see what happens when the arm's tick up.

ArtWilliams 2007-09-12 04:54 PM

The last time America was at war there was a huge deficit which ultimately led to stagflation -- unemployment and inflation. That may happen again although I think that the inflation will be mild given that house prices are in decline. If you own an arms factory you can order the new Jaguar.

You can pay me for my great insight by sending lots of productive traffic to my website, thank you!

SheepGuy 2007-09-12 07:21 PM

I have a system that consistently returns 20% at the harness races. I only bet 2-4 races a week and I truly believe it is better than the stock market. I'll explain it to anyone who gives me an account at Murray's ;)

T Pat 2007-09-12 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 365315)
Everybodies waiting for october, to see what happens when the arm's tick up.

One of my step kids house just went into foreclosure, fucker didn't listen to me and sucked all of his equity out and got an ARM.

My son in law works for Countrywide, he's laying off half of his staff in the morning and trying to figure out a way to get his boss to lay him off so he can get their severance package while they still have the cash.

ecchi 2007-09-13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheepGuy (Post 365333)
I have a system that consistently returns 20% at the harness races. I only bet 2-4 races a week and I truly believe it is better than the stock market. I'll explain it to anyone who gives me an account at Murray's ;)

I have a system I use with dog racing, only works on the track, but has only once let me down, and then I only lost 9p (~12 cents) in an evening. Other than that I have always won.

I'm cheaper than Sheepguy, I'll trade my secrets for traffic. :D

SheepGuy 2007-09-13 03:33 AM

Damn, I wish there was dog racing here, having no jockeys/drivers would eliminate one variable ;)
If anyone wants my system I'll give it to them, but you have to be able to read the program and it will only give you a pick for very few races and picks very few longshots.
Sorta like this biz, not a get rich scheme, but a steady earner if you work it. ;)

BOONESTOONS 2007-09-13 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Pat (Post 365347)
One of my step kids house just went into foreclosure, fucker didn't listen to me and sucked all of his equity out and got an ARM.

My son in law works for Countrywide, he's laying off half of his staff in the morning and trying to figure out a way to get his boss to lay him off so he can get their severance package while they still have the cash.

Oh he shoulda listened to you!

I'm glad I didn't buy something in the past few years. Sold all our stuff when the gettin' was good.

The economic outlook for the country is shit because too many things are on the brink. Foreclosures here in California, especially Los Angeles are a nightmare. It's good if you're a buyer though to a degree but foreclosures nationwide are all up. Countrywide got hit hard. I feel for your son-in-law but...

As for the stocks? The credit/lending/real estate situation is far, far worse than is being reported and it's not going to continue to hit the fan for years well into the next decade easy. If another war breaks out it will totally cripple the U.S.. Oil at an all time high this week and
that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Ironically the adult online market may take a ferocious hit from the cc industries and banks due to the amount of fraud and criminal activity. I say may depending on what happens in the next six months. The levels of complaints from consumers have hit all time highs and the courts won't step around it any longer. I doubt if you'll have all the adult webmasters lined up to be honorable to one another so it's best to choose one's friends wisely.

October ain't to be worried about stocks wise. Everyone is focused on October and it may not be the month to worry about. I'd say worry about December. Reason being there may be a major collapse in China's manufacturing of toys due to sub quality. If that happens just before Christmas that's gonna be billions lost and delayed.

Global natural disasters and warfare are the big threats. America's enemies now know this.

jetpat 2007-09-13 02:20 PM

I've been watching CNBC for the last couple hours sitting here in Dulles, and I am amazed at this continuing oil "crisis". The other day, the news was - $80/bbl because of fear of the hurricane season. Today, its because OPEC added another 500M bbl/day prod, but we don't think that's enough. WTF?!?!!! My thought is - People just want to make bank, so prices go up. Occam's Razor.

Linkster 2007-09-13 03:04 PM

Somebody thinks that world stock markets arent going to good some time in the next 8 days - he's betting basically $4 billion that the market will crash by at least 1/3 - unless he knows something we dont:
http://www.financialnews-us.com/?pag...tid=2448565379

BOONESTOONS 2007-09-17 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 365460)
Somebody thinks that world stock markets arent going to good some time in the next 8 days - he's betting basically $4 billion that the market will crash by at least 1/3 - unless he knows something we dont:
http://www.financialnews-us.com/?pag...tid=2448565379

Okay, this is weird because some folks I know who are real hot on stocks were talking pretty nervous yesterday. I mean they were real tense.

jetpat 2007-09-17 01:25 PM

All I know is, I don't even want to look at my Etrade account...

RB 2007-09-17 01:42 PM

Etrade account also not for me...

docholly 2007-09-17 07:38 PM

I'm 1/2 way through the new Alan Greenspan book that arrived early this morning. *yes i've been slacking today*...and I think that I might need to "go to the mattresses" in the very near future.

T Pat 2007-09-17 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docholly (Post 365969)
I'm 1/2 way through the new Alan Greenspan book that arrived early this morning. *yes i've been slacking today*...and I think that I might need to "go to the mattresses" in the very near future.

I caught Greenspan on 60 minutes last night, did you know he wrote 80% of that book sitting in the bathtub :D

He has no respect for the Bush's and lots of respect for Bill Clinton, he remains a republican but said he might not vote next election |thumb

jetpat 2007-09-17 09:08 PM

Damn it! I knew I wanted to stop by Barnes & Noble after getting the cat food.

And I find it interesting that with his wife working for NBC, he chose 60 Minutes for his initial interview.