Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What software do you use for your HTML? (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=54225)

RedCherry 2009-08-26 10:05 AM

What software do you use for your HTML?

I've been using AceHTML Pro for years, version 5.0, but it is buggy in Vista 64. (Ok I admit, it was buggy in XP but it is now more buggy)

When I checked their website, their latest version was created in 2007, so I doubt that it is any more compatible, since they seemed to have only fixed issues with win98 and 2000.

Since I'm an old hand coder, I really like that I can code by hand, and it has a view button that I can use to see the finished page. Since it is the only software I've used other than notepad, (and a short bit with frontpage, but I hate that with a passion), I have no clue what else is out there that isn't entirely WYSIWYG.

Any suggestions?

stuveltje 2009-08-26 10:09 AM

i use textpad, have bin using it since the time i started internet biss, i am a handcoder also:D and its free.

ArtWilliams 2009-08-26 10:11 AM

I use Kompozer. It is free [no charge / open source license] and available for Windows, Mac and Linux. It is simple but fits my needs. You can hand code or use WYSIWYG.

Cleo 2009-08-26 10:12 AM

Still using GoLive but since Adobe bought it, ruined it and now discontinued it I guess I'll be switching to Dreamweaver now that Adobe bought it too. I'm just in no hurry to switch as I really like the site management features of GoLive.

Toby 2009-08-26 10:17 AM

I'm using Dreamweaver, you can do both hand code and WYSIWYG. BUT... I'm still using version 8 which is the last one produced before Macromedia was purchased by Adobe. I've not seen anything in the newer versions that are "must haves".

My house mate bought a new Dell XPS this Spring with 64 bit Vista and it has given him some major compatibility issues with a number of things.

I'm not sure how DW does on Vista 64, particularly older versions.

LD 2009-08-26 10:38 AM

Dreamweaver here...

A.J. Angel 2009-08-26 10:51 AM

Most of the time NotePad but sometimes I have to pop on WordPad because the codes are all sticking together on one line.

Dreamweaver is a good alternative though since you can hardcode with it as well.

RedCherry 2009-08-26 11:10 AM

Art, thanks for the link to Kompozer. I'm going to give that a try, as the screenshots it looks a LOT like AceHTML. If that doesn't work, I'll try dreamweaver. |thumb

InfoGuy 2009-08-26 11:13 AM

I'm doing all hand coding with Notepad.

Camchoice 2009-08-26 11:17 AM

Been using dreamweaver for years..

RedCherry 2009-08-26 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfoGuy (Post 462360)
I'm doing all hand coding with Notepad.

I did that for years, but I do so much coding, I like the colors that AceHTML put on for the different tags, and the ability to preview what it will look like, without having to upload it. :)

bDok 2009-08-26 11:28 AM

i use dreamweaver and textmate (mac app). I hand code everything in dreamweaver though. I just like the auto complete features it has. I can click on it's preview area and jump to around that area of code. That I like as well. I don't actually type anything in the preview window area and have dreamweaver generate the code.

textmate I'm getting better at. Need to continue to use it more. Generally though I work with it when I'm dealing with a lot of php stuff. I like it's syntax highlighting a lot more than dreamweaver. I should check to see if I could change the syntax highlighting in dreamweaver. Oh I'm using cs3 version.

InfoGuy 2009-08-26 11:30 AM

I could see the benefits to the colors for different tags. Source in Firefox is color coded.

LD 2009-08-26 11:50 AM

You handcoders are making me feel so inadequate...|cry|

Evil Chris 2009-08-26 12:11 PM

I just use Dreamweaver and notepad.

Been like that for years now.

Fonz 2009-08-26 12:25 PM

Macromedia Homesite 5, I guess they have a newer version but the one I'm using is just fine :)

LeRoy 2009-08-26 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LusciousDelight (Post 462367)
You handcoders are making me feel so inadequate...|cry|

I was think the same thing lol

I use Dreamweaver and love it :)

virgohippy 2009-08-26 02:38 PM

I do everything by hand, mostly with notepad. I use Dreamweaver for larger or more complex files for the text highlighting, auto-completing tags and planting the cursor close a desired location while in preview before switching back to code view, just like bDok.

Tommy 2009-08-26 02:52 PM

O do everything by hand and use editpad.. its like notepad with tabs .. its free

smutguy 2009-08-26 04:11 PM

i prefer dreamweaver and notepad

Simon 2009-08-26 04:35 PM

I've always built by hand using BBEdit as my text editor of choice on a Mac. It does have a live preview built in, so if you have a large screen or multiple screens you can watch the page change as you edit the code, and you can also preview in the browser of your choice (or all open browsers at once).

But I'm thinking maybe it's time to take a close look at this Dreamweaver thing. Is that one you can get by itself or does Adobe try to force you to get it bundled with other things like they do with Photoshop now?

Licker4U 2009-08-26 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCherry (Post 462362)
...and the ability to preview what it will look like, without having to upload it. :)

I hand code and use Notepad but don't have to upload to view. Open the file with IE and view |whisper|

stuveltje 2009-08-26 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licker4U (Post 462404)
I hand code and use Notepad but don't have to upload to view. Open the file with IE and view |whisper|

textpad does have that view and hell something i found out a year after i alredy used the thing..the search and replace option, i know i am bad, but sometimes i am realy slow with understanding things i already use for a long time, see textpad the same as notepad but with way more options:)

NY Jester 2009-08-26 04:51 PM

Ive been with DreamWeaver for some years now, also along side the ole trusty Notepad

tickler 2009-08-26 05:00 PM

Handcoding everything.

I use an old text program called Editor99. Tabs, syntax highlighting in multiple languages.
A browser window & the editor window using refresh.

Most times now though I'm doing everything in PHP, even fairly simple HTML pages.