Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   When You Sign Up For A New Affiliate Program... (Webmaster Referrals Question) (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=63448)

Greenguy 2012-01-31 09:14 AM

When You Sign Up For A New Affiliate Program... (Webmaster Referrals Question)

When you sign up for a new program, do you make sure to go thru an existing affiliate's webmaster referral link?

I know that I ALWAYS do this - even if a rep asks me to join or a program announces that they've open up another one, I make sure to find a code 1st.

It was nice for me when MML was around - I just used his code :)

But I've been thinking that if you need to signup for a program & don't have a webmaster referral code to go thru, you could post in the I'm Looking For... forum & then we can keep it in the family |shake|

Let me know your thoughts.....

Cleo 2012-01-31 09:34 AM

I do most of the time unless it is some obscure sponsor and I'm in a hurry.

LD 2012-01-31 09:59 AM

I always did at first, but have gotten a little lazy about it. I've never made any $ to speak of through referrals myself.

Toby 2012-01-31 10:35 AM

I'll sign up through a referral if it's someone I know, but that only happens about 20% of the time.

Most of the sponsors I sign up for are independent, owned/operated by the model, not some larger program. Any webmaster referral is going to come out of their income, so unless someone has earned it I'm not going to go out of my way to take that money out of their pocket.

ArtWilliams 2012-01-31 11:17 AM

Having started basically over, I am using mostly CCBill but if I add sponsors I will try to remember to use a referral.

JustRobert 2012-01-31 11:43 AM

If I do remember, I will check Link O Rama and follow that link if the Green fella has it, otherwise...no. Lately, its very rare for me to try a new sponsor. With the day gig there is no time.

housekeeper 2012-01-31 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 513103)
I'll sign up through a referral if it's someone I know, but that only happens about 20% of the time.

Most of the sponsors I sign up for are independent, owned/operated by the model, not some larger program. Any webmaster referral is going to come out of their income, so unless someone has earned it I'm not going to go out of my way to take that money out of their pocket.

What Toby said

virgohippy 2012-01-31 01:52 PM

Not that I make anything more then pocket change for anybody, but I always try to sign up through an existing affiliate, and I do try to keep it in house. Whoever makes the recommendation (which I only trust from members of this board) usually gets my signup, otherwise I pick a board member I like who I know uses that sponsor and I go looking for a link on their network.

It's been years since I've added a sponsor without someone recommending them to me. I really should go do more sponsor hunting, not many of them are profitable now.

Greenie, I like your idea of requesting a referral in the "I'm looking for..." section. I'll be sure to do that from now on. |thumb

pc 2012-01-31 01:55 PM

I'm with JR, greenie LOR is my source of sponsors.

ecchi 2012-02-01 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 513086)
But I've been thinking that if you need to signup for a program & don't have a webmaster referral code to go thru, you could post in the I'm Looking For... forum & then we can keep it in the family

Tried that, got no replies. I was asking about a certain type of bondage sponsor, and I know that very few webmasters do bondage, but plenty of programs have do several types of sites including bondage, so plenty of webmasters are in a position to know if a program they use will do me, so could have made a few $$$$ posting. In the past I have had good results posting "anyone know a sponsor who...". But that was before you set up the "I'm Looking For" forum, and I guess the problem is that no one really looks at that board, whereas when we had to post such enquiries on the business forum, lots of people would have seen it, so plenty of people replied. But as a "stand alone" forum it is a bit of a chocolate teapot!

On a similar theme: The first thing I did when looking for new sponsors was to look for your page of "good sponsors", but it appears to have disappeared in the move. Why did you kill it? Surely it was a good source of income for you?

tickler 2012-02-01 07:24 AM

Generally I will take a look at Greenie's stats if I am looking for a niche sponsor!

LeRoy 2012-02-01 09:07 AM

I voted always... It's the right thing to do.

Every little bit helps.

Greenguy 2012-02-01 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecchi (Post 513143)
Tried that, got no replies. I was asking about a certain type of bondage sponsor,

I was gonna reply to that one, but I couldn't think of any that had hosted thumbs - that might be the reason there's no replies, as there are 30 views.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecchi (Post 513143)
On a similar theme: The first thing I did when looking for new sponsors was to look for your page of "good sponsors", but it appears to have disappeared in the move. Why did you kill it? Surely it was a good source of income for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickler (Post 513145)
Generally I will take a look at Greenie's stats if I am looking for a niche sponsor!

I stopped doing my stats because, to be honest, they stink :( Not so much that the conversions & money per click stink, but there's way too many sites where I got just one sale & that really makes a paysite look good when it may not actually be that good. Back in the day when I had all kinds of traffic & sales, it was more of a legit list.

I might do something with my year end stats, maybe just a list of programs with overall numbers.

bDok 2012-02-01 12:33 PM

I always get a ref code. Heck even if I only manage on a program to get the minimum I figure hopefully I can have bought a webmaster a beer or burrito or something with the little extra referral money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 513152)
I might do something with my year end stats, maybe just a list of programs with overall numbers.

I think looking over the list and also rating them. Have a threshold of a number of sales had to happen and showing those stats. Kinda like how hoes used to require so many hits and sales to be shown.

tickler 2012-02-01 10:45 PM

It was still a handy guide for sponsors by niche, and the stats helped give a feel of which ones might be better converters!!! |thumb

babymaker 2012-02-02 08:07 AM

I sign up under people most of the time if I remember :)

RedCherry 2012-02-03 11:46 AM

I sign up under someone if I can find their referral code, but I admit, if I find some obscure sponsor, I never thought to put up a request asking for people's code. I'll do that next time.

The Epic 2012-02-03 12:37 PM

Most of the sponsors I found were through other affiliates so most of the time I do go under referral codes. For ones I stumble on I've never asked, but may in the future do so. I can't imagine webmasters would earn much by referring me at this point.

Greenguy 2012-02-03 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Epic (Post 513213)
...I can't imagine webmasters would earn much by referring me at this point.

Every little bit helps!

sharky 2012-02-06 12:39 PM

Any referrals help these days.

I can tell you though, if you are sending decent traffic and asking a sponsor for a payout bump, they always check to see if they are paying out a referral commission before they commit to an increase.

faxxaff 2012-02-11 04:20 AM

If a friendly webmaster already promotes a program, I will look for his ref code. If some spammer just comes on a board and blindly spams, I make sure to signup without his ref code. Other than that I really don't care too much as in most cases I will get my links from a search referral on Google. The ones that are ranking highest deserve the credit, be it an affiliate or a direct link.

mOrrI 2012-02-12 10:24 AM

Most of the times yes... because I think it's better to promote a recommended sponsor...

papagmp 2012-02-17 08:49 PM

I do about 99% of the time so I check always because it's way more than sometimes but there are time when I'm in the middle of a project and don't have the time to research. I do try to avoid using a webmaster i don't know though.