View Single Post
Old 2005-01-29, 02:23 PM   #1
AcidMaX
Programming till my fingers bleed.

Cleo et al., - Need apple advice :)

Ok I am thinking about my wife and I moving completely to Mac. I however don't want to spend $2k a piece on the laptop. I am currently using a Compaq 2.6ghz (Celeron) with 2.6ghz processor. Most of the time I have my normal 17" LCD monitor hooked up.

I guess my questions is are the $999 I-Books any good? They say they are 1.25 GHZ which is the PowerPC, how comparible is that to what I have now? I was thinking of upgrading them both to 512mb of memory which would bring the price up to like $1074 x 2. I don't do much with mine, but browse the web, maybe edit some word documents, and do my programming (i use Zend IDE which has a Mac version) and I am using Linux full time right now.

The wife will just use it for billing (which is done through online resources, upload photos, etc). She might do some word document type stuff right now as well.

I use OpenOffice for my linux box at the moment, but am wondering what all comes with these iBooks, are the sufficient for what we are doing and are they worth it? Please share your thoughts on these iBooks and if you think they are worth it. I am looking at the 12" screens (which as I said I mostly use my LCD so that doesn't bother me too much).

Would these be comparible to something like a compaq presario laptop?

Andy
AcidMaX is offline   Reply With Quote