View Single Post
Old 2005-04-05, 02:25 PM   #27
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

A somewhat recent trend with surfers is to sign up and cancel immediately, without having seen the interior of the site. The fear of the rebill has killed it for the smart surfer that will just suck down the site, and the novice who has gotten screwed with poor customer service at other sites.

I know of some companies that won't allow you to cancel until you've logged into the members area, or you can't cancel until some period of time has expired. Its a battle to keep someone that has never looked at the interior and who is going to use it for the trial and only the trial. If the content is good enough, or the customer service experience is good enough, the surfer might come back. Surfers have learned through time how to evaluate a site and determine if it has been updated, or what the update schedule is. So, if it is unique content, they will bookmark and come back every 90 days to see the new stuff, etc.

But, its a gamble -- so many sites offering the same thing, surfers that want to just get in there and suck things down and not have to worry about fighting charges on their card when they couldn't find/didn't find the cancellation link.

I can see why they do it that way, but, I would rather see a lower PPS rate that didn't have that clause, or, label it as a Per-Active with a 4 hour probation or however they want to do it.