View Single Post
Old 2010-05-29, 10:13 PM   #9
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo View Post
If a domain goes 404 or no dns I just delete the domain.
That's what I've been doing. A lot of people are allowing old domains to expire, or re-purposing the domains, so I just delete whatever links are crap and leave it at that. Hell, I have allowed a shitty domain with old free sites to expire. Like Bill said, some things aren't worth the hassle of keeping around.

The free site/link list business has changed so much in the last few years. I think many of us have softened up a lot in our approaches to issues like these. There was a time that I'd ban a submitter and delete every link he/she ever submitted if I found a single free site 404ing. Now, I'll check to see it's domain-wide or a submitter-wide issue, then delete only what's bad. With AndyS, who I loved as a submitter, I saw that a few of his domains had gone nuts up, and knew the rest would too eventually, so I had to delete all of his links. If he came back to the business tomorrow, I'd gladly allow him to submit again.

Submitters are no longer a dime a dozen. Maybe they never were, but we certainly used to act that way, didn't we? We have to admit, Bill - even Tommy - warned us that our prick-ish policies made it not worth being a free site submitter. Now that conversions have turned to shit, the submitters have no good reason stick around.