View Single Post
Old 2010-08-05, 10:31 PM   #20
Cleo
Subversive filth of the hedonistic decadent West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
do a brother a solid and write a tutorial on how to do that with co-location accounts. Do we have to install the rsynch client on our co-lo server or what?
I'm a Mac user and Macs are unix just like our servers are. Rsync is a command line unix tool.

It basically it does FTP but it's really fast and can be used to sync two directories or two entire servers. In my case my server and a local copy of it on my hard drive. I've automated all of the this using a crontab on my Mac.

Nothing to install on your server, or on a Mac for that matter. Not sure what is available for Windows users.

This is what the rsync command looks like that a crontab on my Mac runs each night.
Code:
rsync -avCP --ignore-errors  --delete --exclude "analog/"  remoteuser@host:/remote/path /local/path/to/backup
To rsync it back,
Code:
rsync -avCP --ignore-errors  --delete --exclude "analog/" /local/path/to/backup remoteuser@host:/remote/path
But there is no need to use rsync at all. I use it because I prefer to work on a copy of my stuff instead of the original in case I mess up. Also because I prefer using Mac's visual tools like drag and drop and BBEdit.

You can also ssh into your server and use command line tools to do search and replace or delete.
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote