View Single Post
Old 2017-02-04, 06:34 PM   #10
Pagan
Perverted Empress

Send a message via ICQ to Pagan
Sigh.. you sound like I did when my beloved little Canadian-made 1996 Geo Metro, with barely 110,000 miles on it had a transmission problem in 2009. 45 miles per gallon... City driving. Closer to 50 out in the country. I had that car towed to the only transmission shop in the area who had to deliver some extremely sad news. Nobody in the state of Texas or the surrounding states even had a transmission for that car anymore - for any price. The shop owner really went to bat for me, calling every junk yard in 4 states - about a 1200 mile radius. Nothing.

To make it worse, Texas had a special program going on where I could have gotten a nice chunk of change for trading in my car, if it got less than 40 miles per gallon. Of course, my little snowball was not eligible for that deal. I ended up selling it for parts for $200.

Yes, viruses do attack the newer OS' out there, but they are also patched pretty quick. My Chrome is updated frequently, and so are my virus and malware protection. (Do you have anti-ransomware protection on your computer?). But see, you are also probably going to have to be happy with the crumbs that will still work on XP -- there is no free upgrade path anymore, nor is there a direct path. Your hardware is probably not capable of running anything newer (like my Netbook). It's like owing a 1996 Geo Metro and having a transmission problem. I loved my little Netbook. It was so cute and tiny. I could carry it in my purse. BUT, it is agonizingly slow compared to my current machine. I cannot even imagine trying to do any work, much less serious work, on that machine any longer.