Thread: Happy Thursday
View Single Post
Old 2017-03-23, 03:45 PM   #7
Pagan
Perverted Empress

Send a message via ICQ to Pagan
i took a rare complete day off yesterday, and may well do that again today. I haven't stopped much in the last 3 months or so, not even when my brother died. Slowed down, yes, but I have been updating at least once a day now for the past 3 months or so. I told my husband last night that I feel so stretched in so many different directions.

My mother had 2 uncles that nobody really knew what happened to them. Both had emigrated from Finland. One went to Massachusetts and the other to Winnepeg Canada. About that same time, the Soviets were busy rebuilding Karelia and were luring workers from the US, Canada, and Finland with the promise of jobs, housing, and secure jobs. Finns were desired because of their skills and worth ethic. The US was in the depression. Both uncles went to work in a ski factory, one taking his wife. Everything went well until 1937 when Stalin decided the crack down on the Finns, outlawing their language, closing their schools and social halls, and started rounding them up like cattle. Both uncles were executed in 1938 after "trials". We know nothing of the fate of the wife yet. She doesn't show on any of the lists, but we know she was there. The mass graves were discovered over the last 20 years, so none of the family really knew for sure.

Maybe because this knowledge came so close to my brother's death it has hit me more than I expected.

I may well get an update done tonight, but likely not until morning.

Jolly... please do take the time to heal all the way. No rush. I still have some of your sites listed and can always use more.