View Single Post
Old 2017-04-16, 06:46 AM   #11
Pagan
Perverted Empress

Send a message via ICQ to Pagan
I call it Americanization. About 1/3 of of television comes from the US, and another 1/3 from the UK. Since I moved here 5 years ago, I have seen the beginnings of Black Friday sales (Black Friday being the day after Thanksgiving, when most stores expect to be in the black as far as sales go. We don't have Thanksgiving here in Finland!). We now see rebel flags, American style diners with food seasoned to the milder Finnish palate, and an increase in American clothing being sold here. Heck, we even have Steve 'N' Seagulls that play bluegrass versions of heavy metal. American cars are highly prized too - if you can afford the gas! So of course, the next logical step is to keep the stores open 24/7 if at all possible, and do it 365 days a year just like they do in the good old USA. The Brits are almost as popular, btw.

Here's a bit of Steve 'N' Seagulls just for a laugh - https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc

Not that long ago, many people here had cabins by the lake, and most would take the month of June or July off to go to the cabin. Many workers had a full month of vacation time. Even our city offices now shut down for the entire month of July. That time with the family or by the lake is treasured but there is now a movement to do away with that ritual. Seems people think we should be more 'American'.

The 2 main grocery store chains have reported a small increase in sales the first year of non-regulated hours. What they didn't allow for was having to hire extra staff or pay people to work full time versus part time, and that has hurt the bottom line. Daycare over the holidays is also tough. The daycare centers are closed, but many of the mothers have to work. What to do with the kids? It's great if you have someone to leave them with, but not everyone does. I much prefer the old way -- being closed on the holidays and allowing people some quality time with their families.