View Single Post
Old 2017-02-23, 02:33 AM   #8
Pagan
Perverted Empress

Send a message via ICQ to Pagan
Our Lidl is pretty small, with very few food choices. I honestly think they have more bins of non-food items than food. Produce looked, well, sad. I was so excited to see we had one here in this town, but the last time I tried to do regular shopping there, I found only a few items we normally used. The rest was imported or well, strange. For a small country, Finland does produce a lot of its own food, like potatoes, carrots, pork, chicken, milk, and cheese. They did not even have Finnish potatoes or carrots!! I have heard they have changed it and have more local items. We do have to drive to that store, where my husband can walk to our local which saves time and money. The other big plus for us is that this chain and the other chain (also walking distance. I live in a small town with 5 grocery stores!!) have been in price wars. We get good, fresh, and local at pretty darned good prices.

Our favorite trick though is to go over to the local prepared foods and sausage maker. They operate a butcher shop that is heavenly, with anything that is prepared done right there. The ground beef there is cheaper and fresher than what we get in the grocery store, and... hand cut tenderloin steaks to our specifications, about 10 pounds per kilo (roughly figure $5/pound for the US folks).

Lidl is all over the EU. We don't have Aldi, but I do hear they are about the same.