View Single Post
Old 2008-04-01, 06:15 PM   #16
swedguy
Vagabond

Send a message via ICQ to swedguy
BINGO!!

Right on, Marc!

Many years ago I sat down with lots of papers taped together and started drawing (I love pen and paper).

First I made a list with "type of sites", then a list with "traffic sources".

How can this type of site benefit this other type of site?
How can I get more of this traffic by getting more of that traffic?
How can I create this kind of site and get this other kind of traffic back in the other end?
And so on...

Once I saw the whole picture in front of me, I asked myself: What parts do I need to do by hand, what parts can I automate and what parts can I recycle?

Will the sites I create today for this type of traffic work in 1-2-5 years from now? Impossible to answer, but I could bet a pretty penny that sites with 500 "cunt" in hidden text will not work in the long run.

Will this type of traffic work for that type of site work in 1-2-5 years from now? Also impossible, but you see trends and things that will always work. Make them work together. The latest fad is good right now, but will be forgotten before you know it.

The parts that involves other webmasters, someone you will create a "partnership" with, nurture it. Don't fuck around with that.

Enough talking and side tracking, this is the point I was coming to:

Submitting Free Sites is a small piece of the pie that involves fellow webmasters that you should respect. Make your site by hand (you can still use some type of template) and make sure it follows the rules, then submit it by hand.

There's 100's of other things you can do to make your webmaster life way more efficient.
swedguy is offline   Reply With Quote