Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Newbie Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2008-08-02, 02:17 PM   #1
ShagWiki
Internet! Is that thing still around?

Traffic ideas?

I'm brand new to this business and just put up my first site, www.shagwiki.com . I'm looking for any ideas and assistance to generate traffic for the site. I have posted a few galleries, listed with a number of search engines, started linking to a number of sites, and just am not getting much traffic. Either my site must suck or I'm doing something wrong as my traffic is very low. I've only been up a month but is there a way to really start generating some good traffic? Is it worth it to buy traffic? I am hearing and seeing mixed opinions about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
ShagWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 06:04 PM   #2
p3rlphr33k
Operator! Give me the number for 911!

are you targeting a specific type of site? Are you building galleries or just listing other galleries? I see a bunch of hustlercash stuff are you building galleries with there content or just linking to there pages? sry for all the Q's but its hard to tell you how to generate traffic without knowing what you are doing.
Old 2008-08-02, 06:28 PM   #3
ShagWiki

In reality, I'm trying to build something that is some what of portal, a one stop to allow the user to get to whatever they are looking for, videos. pics, blogs, ect. I will be building my own galleries as well as offering galleries with others content. Currently, I have HustlerCash in the photos area (1 one I have put up) and a number of others in the videos, some hosted on my server and some linking to others.
Old 2008-08-02, 07:08 PM   #4
p3rlphr33k
Operator! Give me the number for 911!

if you don't pay for bandwidth that would work out fine once you get galleries up, but doing a link exchange with no paying galleries is going to make you nothing. Right now any traffic you get is coming in through the link exchange/search engine and being redirected out to another link exchanger. It be a good idea to build up content before traffic. Give your traffic a reason to be on the page other than to leave. Don't mean to sound like an ass, it is a very nice site. Once you have enough content and submissions the traffic comes naturally as long as you keep updating. Once you have that then exchanges are a good thing. convert excess no sales into exchange traffic. right now it is all exchange traffic.
Old 2008-08-02, 07:21 PM   #5
ShagWiki

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your advice.
Old 2008-08-04, 03:48 PM   #6
ShagWiki

more advice

IF anyone has more advice I'd love to hear it. both good and bad. Thanks
Old 2008-08-05, 08:06 PM   #7
Pagan
Perverted Empress

A month is nothing in this business, or any internet based business for that matter. It can take several months just to get a listing in some search engines/directories. If you work it hard, building 3-4 free sites per week, and submitting every day to 2 or 3 tiers of link lists, you will start to see traffic building up in 2-6 months. It takes time.... and a lot of very hard work. Search engine traffic is also very slow.

You mentioned you have built several free sites... examples? What lists are you submitting to? Many of the LLs listed on this board are quite newbie friendly. Many of the people giving pointers are LL owners and freesite builders themselves. Read.. learn.. Hit some of the other boars. Jump in and chat.. become known. We don't bite unless you ask us to. Work on building freesites and submitting those sites to the various link lists. Joe Blow Surfer sees your site listed, comes over and visits.. maybe likes what he sees. One of your main page link-outs could be a link to your portal.. and a way for people to find you.

Portal sites by themself are almost unlinkable -- you have no real content because you are just the central hub. So, you must bring them to you in other ways.
Old 2008-08-05, 11:13 PM   #8
oOghostriderOo
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

I checked out your site and just wanted to point out that it causes a lot of horizontal scroll on my screen and I'm at 1024px wide. you might think to adjust according to most common resolutions.
oOghostriderOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 12:12 PM   #9
ShagWiki

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate all the help.
Old 2008-09-24, 10:58 PM   #10
GenXer
Are you sure this is the Sci-Fi Convention? It's full of nerds!

I would advise you to try buying traffic. It doesn't have to be expensive, 3-5 dollars per 1K or so visitors. Like for example a site like Traffic Adept you can buy traffic to send to your galleries.
Old 2008-09-25, 06:57 AM   #11
FuckingBastard
Ahhh ... sweet pity. Where would my love life be without it?

Send a message via ICQ to FuckingBastard
You may keep in mind that google love much blogs , especially wordpress. You can also make only 2 blogs per day from free services like thumblogger.com or others.
I may add that i`m newbie too , i have a site which i created one month ago and have same goddamn problem with traffic.I already up my site from 1 hits to 200 hits per day right now and keep doing the work with : galleries created and submitted,free directories submitting,free blogs,dump sites submitting ( you will received shitty traffic,but it`s good i guess so 4 the beggining).
You can think also to get free traffic for biggest comunitty online,like youtube.Can uploud some funny sexy movies and received few hits per day , that matter a lot IMHO.Less with less with less = more
Good luck dude.