Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-04-03, 03:48 PM   #1
tjchuck
And Lord, we are especially thankful for nuclear power, the cleanest, safest
energy source there is. Except for solar, which is just a pipe dream

Send a message via ICQ to tjchuck
Hi all, question about DNS name servers

Hello everyone, hope everyone is having a better weekend than myself.

Anywho, I have a question about when you change your DNS name servers.

When I change my DNS name servers for my new hosting, should my old hosting be cut off now or does it cut off when the DNS name servers get updated?

The reason I ask this is that I have uploaded all my files to my new host but it is still my old host that is recording any tranfer.
And just to check that, I deleted some files temporarily on my old host and when I checked online the sites that I deleted were getting error they were not there. |confused|

tjchuck
tjchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-03, 04:00 PM   #2
beano
Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

My understanding is that you should have copies of your stuff on both servers for about a week after the DNS change. The DNS change isn't always instant.

Only once you see that the old server isn't getting any action at all, you can then turn it off.

I'm not sure of the technical side of things, but this is what I've read time and time again. Hope this helps.
beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-03, 04:21 PM   #3
airdick
Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchuck
Hello everyone, hope everyone is having a better weekend than myself.

Anywho, I have a question about when you change your DNS name servers.

When I change my DNS name servers for my new hosting, should my old hosting be cut off now or does it cut off when the DNS name servers get updated?

The reason I ask this is that I have uploaded all my files to my new host but it is still my old host that is recording any tranfer.
And just to check that, I deleted some files temporarily on my old host and when I checked online the sites that I deleted were getting error they were not there. |confused|

tjchuck
The root servers for .com and .net are updated several times per day now, so your new dns info can be available very quickly. However, even if the root servers are have your current info, remote DNS servers won't query the root servers for you domains if they have cached records for your hosts that the time-to-live has not expired on yet.

When you are planning on changing IP address or moving hosts it is best to change the TTL on your DNS records to some low number (like 5 minutes) at least X minutes (or more) before you actually make the move, where X is equal to your current TTL. To complicate matters, some DNS servers will ignore your TTL and set their own, so for the smoothest transition you'll want to keep both hosts online and the content synched up for a few days.
airdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-03, 05:57 PM   #4
tjchuck
And Lord, we are especially thankful for nuclear power, the cleanest, safest
energy source there is. Except for solar, which is just a pipe dream

Send a message via ICQ to tjchuck
Thanks for the help
tjchuck is offline   Reply With Quote