Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-09-06, 09:33 AM   #1
sharky
I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES

Labor Day Mountain Biking... CRASH (pics)

So I posted this on some other forums the other day and got some great responses. Lots of laughs, even some ICQs from guys giving me pointers. I figured you guys would enjoy it as well.... So here's my story:

I've been trying to be more active lately. A few months ago I picked up mountain biking and have really enjoyed it. I go out on the local trails several times a week, I even joined the local mountain biking club.

With that said I've had my share of "learning experiences." My first of which involved me going over the handlebars ona down hil and folding my front tire like a taco. No big deal, I was fine and after bending the wheel back as much as possible I managed to ride the bike back 9 miles to the trailhead before a storm hit.

Now fast forward to Monday, Labor Day. A few friends and I decided to go out to Boyette, a local trail system built on old sulfer mines. It's a lot of fun, tons of drops and climbs, etc. Everything you could ask for in Florida Mountainbiking... (Hey - we don't have mountains!). This was my first time on this trail system. Anywhoo....

About 3 hours into it, I am having a blast. I am hydrated, well fed from a good breakfast and feeling great while some of the others are dragging ass from not eating in the AM. I am getting cocky. NOT GOOD when you are the most inexperienced rider in the group. My friends and I decide to head over to an area with a few consecutive jumps off small hills so we can take a few pictures. I was first. I did OK on my first jump ever... a little wobbly but OK. The other guys came down, I took the pics and we were ready to go again. Same thing.. a little wobbly, but I was feeling good. So on my 3rd try I get cocky and think I am hot shit. I pedal harder, go faster and try to pull off a jump that made me feel like I was on X-games.... ONLY SOMETHING WENT WRONG! I lifted too much, leaned to the right and BAM! I was down. I landed face first, the bike landed on me, then flipped over me and I was on my back. I couldn't breathe, I was yelling in pain and my friends thought I was dying. I thought I was dying. It felt like a rib was sticking out of my chest, I just knew it! I have never felt so much pain in my life. My face, my shoulder, my chest, my legs, etc... It was all hurting! My friends were quick to stabilize me and assess the situation, not letting me move an inch. Finally after what seemed like an hour (in reality about 5-10 minutes) I was able to breath. The weight was lifted off my chest and I could see straight again. I sat up and was in pain, but no broken bones - AMAZINGLY! My bike wasn't even tore up. Well, My seat busted but thats OK. lol. So I took about 5-10 minutes to get my whits about me... AND i STARTED BACK ON THE TRAILS AGAIN.... 6-7 miles back to the trailhead.

Lessons learned:
1) Never be cocky
2) Always ride with friends, never alone.
3) Live hard or die trying! - I will be 30 on Thursday and I can't wait to get back out on the trails tonight!

See the pics here:
http://crew.massivedollars.com/bikin...tte/index.html

Radical Cash
Pharmacy Checks

Like me on FaceBook
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 12:56 PM   #2
gimo33
A woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!

I was hoping to see the "crash" pics, anyway nice pics
be extra careful next time
gimo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 04:36 PM   #3
zigx
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

i was expecting to see blood and shit like that all over the place... thank god that wasnt the case lol
zigx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 05:56 PM   #4
spacemanspiff
Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Send a message via ICQ to spacemanspiff
Man, fucking ouch!!!!

I noticed you have some safety gear. Smart man. I'd invest in a little more if you plan on continuing doing that. When I was riding enduros and hair scrambles, I got everything I could get my hands on.

How much is a suit of armor these days?
Old 2007-09-07, 01:24 PM   #5
sharky
I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES

You can see the pic just before the crash, my buddy was too quick on the trigger. Once I crashed thankfully he thought of me instead of snapping more pics of me down! lol Though I do wish I had pics of it now!

I posted this and logged off yesterday as it was my 30th Bday and also divorce mediation day. fun fun fun.

But thanks for the well wishes guys! I will be back out on the same jumps tomorrow!

Radical Cash
Pharmacy Checks

Like me on FaceBook
Old 2007-09-07, 01:25 PM   #6
sharky

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
Man, fucking ouch!!!!

I noticed you have some safety gear. Smart man. I'd invest in a little more if you plan on continuing doing that. When I was riding enduros and hair scrambles, I got everything I could get my hands on.

How much is a suit of armor these days?
I'm not doing heavy jumps, and those should have been simple. I was never coached on how to jump. Since then I have sought the advice of several more experienced bikers. lol

Radical Cash
Pharmacy Checks

Like me on FaceBook