Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2006-05-10, 02:51 PM   #1
MarkTiarra
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

DUPLICATION - A Business Lesson Learned!

Anyone who knows me, knows I just like to share good advice I get or have sometimes and this falls in that category.

In the last couple weeks I have been helping quite a few people launch new programs and consulting to help them grow what they have and the one thing that comes up time and time again is what I like to call "Enterpeneur Syndrome." This is where a business wner is so accustomed to doing all the work that he/she has trouble letting go of any of it and duplicating their efforts through the use of outside help.

The usual reasons are:

1) Fear of it not being done to their standards.
2) Logic of "why pay someone else to do what I can do anyway?"

My response to those concerns:

1) Usually no one else will work to your level but there is only one of you and you only have so many hours to get things done. If other people do things say eith 60% of your effectiveness, it only takes two people to beat your productivity (by 20%). Of course you will have to go through finding good people and dealing with ones that don't do well but it's just like sales where you get through the crap to find the gems. It's worth the effort.

2) Do you want 100% of $10,000 per month or 50% of $100,000 per month. It's as simple as that.

Without duplicating your efforts through other people working for you, you have a much lower ceiling of income. The goal is not to own a job but to own a business. You want it to live and breath even if you go on vacation.

None of this is rocket science but I see so many of my peers stuggling to grow their businesses and being totally stressed out with how much they have to do. You don't have to work hard - you have to work smart! Add hard work to working smart and you get great results but make sure you don't give up your quality of life either. And make it your goal to grow a business and not a job... make it your motivating question when you make decisions (am I makeing more work or am I making business growth happen?) and you'll find yourself in a much better place in not too long.

Or I could be a complete idiot and you should just flame the shit out of this thread. =]
MarkTiarra is offline   Reply With Quote