Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2004-06-25, 04:36 PM   #1
LindaMight
Oh! I haven't changed since high school and suddenly I am uncool

Send a message via ICQ to LindaMight Send a message via AIM to LindaMight Send a message via Yahoo to LindaMight
Question Any help would be great!

If anyone has seen my site, maybe they can answer this perplexing problem I am having with a few members. A few people have written to me and said they cannot access any member material once they get to the main page of the members section. Now, I do have flash buttons on my site, BUT, these same members see the flash buttons outside of my site, but not on the members first page. I've asked what browser they use, if they have a firewall, etc. I just cannot figure out why this is happening. I can access just fine from any browser so I am at a total loss. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Linda
Linda's Site
Old 2004-06-25, 04:58 PM   #2
Mateusz
Screw you, guys. I'm going home.

Send a message via ICQ to Mateusz
I cannot find any flash buttons outside members section - all buttons seems to be pure jpgs...

Ask them to instale newest macromedia flash player
Mateusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 10:46 PM   #3
LindaMight

Send a message via ICQ to LindaMight Send a message via AIM to LindaMight Send a message via Yahoo to LindaMight
?

Shows how much I know. I thought all the blue buttons were flash buttons? I made them through Macromedia Dreamweaver.

I'll write to him and tell him to download flash player...maybe that will help..

Thanks!!!

Linda
Old 2004-06-25, 11:28 PM   #4
LiveWorldWide
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Problems

I don't think this is a 'Flash" problem I don't even think you are using flash. Flash files have the extension .swf?

Sounds more like a permissions issue or a path issue.

Are you developing the site yourself? it's possible that you see the images because they are cached by your browser. no one else can because either when you FTP'd them you did not give the proper permissions for the image files to be readable or more likely the path to the images is local eg. c:\my documents\www\mysite\image.jpg.

The path works locally on your system but not any for others on the server. if it's not either of those things please tell us.

What kind of server are you using LINUX or NT , are you the one who FTP's the files.

Is the browser set to check for new files every time you visit the page.
LiveWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 09:51 AM   #5
LindaMight

Question flash buttons

Actually I checked the outside of my site and the inside and the buttons on the outside are not flash buttons. But, the buttons in the members area are flash buttons because they are swf files. So I think this is the problem. I have written the two members that cannot get to the buttons (they don't even see them) and asked them to download the flash player.

Is this a bad thing to have flash buttons on the inside of the site? If so, I can always change them to something else.

Thanks!!

Linda
Old 2004-06-26, 10:10 AM   #6
Surfn
If you don’t take a chance the Angels won’t dance

Send a message via ICQ to Surfn
Flash loads the slowest and isn't picked up by SE's. Two things you may want to consider when you design your pages.

Surfn's Links Are you a partner?

Surfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 10:16 AM   #7
Cleo
Subversive filth of the hedonistic decadent West

Flash buttons also suffer from no info in the status bar when you mouse over them which annoys a lot of people. IMO you should not use Flash for navigation buttons.

Be sure that you are not using absolute paths on stuff as this breaks if you are using Strongbox as Strongbox adds a wildcard subdomain to everything in your member's area.
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 02:50 PM   #8
LindaMight

phooey

And here I thought I had the coolest looking buttons....rats! Now I gotta change them again. And geez....never even gave it a thought how it might mess up my strongbox....which I absolutely have to have on my site because it has been the ANSWER to all the stupid hackers and hurlers.

Yep....looks like it's the flash buttons....never had any complaints like this before....but then I've had these buttons for at least a year and only two people have written to say they can't see them. But then maybe others just haven't bothered to write.

Thanks for input and any future input...

Linda
Old 2004-06-26, 04:11 PM   #9
Surfn

When it comes to site members multiply the number of emails good of bad by a factor of 10. That means if you have had 2 emails about the buttons then more likely than not there are 20 who have experienced the same problem.

Old 2004-06-26, 10:34 PM   #10
LiveWorldWide
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Flash

If it is a "Flash" problem and you like the buttons it's likely that you can solve this problem and keep your buttons.

would it be possible for you to post the HTML from that part of your page that embeds the buttons? If it's not bad code or embedding and they can see other Flash elements on your site it's not the lack of flash player either which pretty much leaves access permissions. Since you can see the buttons it's not a server permissions issue which leaves whatever you are using to protect your members area, like are you using .htaccess or some other method to protect your members content?
Old 2004-06-27, 03:49 PM   #11
LindaMight

Yes we do have htaccess in our members area. I was thinking of leaving the flash buttons and putting text links under them for those who cannot see them? Or even making a separate page from a link that says "if you don't see blue buttons click here"? Is that like um really tacky?

Geez....

Linda
Old 2004-06-27, 03:52 PM   #12
Surfn

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaMight
Yes we do have htaccess in our members area. I was thinking of leaving the flash buttons and putting text links under them for those who cannot see them? Or even making a separate page from a link that says "if you don't see blue buttons click here"? Is that like um really tacky?

Geez....

Linda
Nah, go for it, surfers like if you take an interest in their needs