Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-03-24, 03:35 AM   #1
security_man
Are you sure this is the Sci-Fi Convention? It's full of nerds!

Send a message via ICQ to security_man
from what i understand if you use your check card as a credit card (ie signing the recipt and not using a pin) then the merchant has to pay a higher processing fee and the purchase can be disputed by the customer, even if its signed for. if you use a pin then there is no doubt that the customer has used it (or at least in a dispute the merchant has an advantage) and cannot dispute the charge so the merchant is off the hook and is guranteed payment. Thats why costco will not accept debit cards as credit cards (i was a member when they changed it and had a manager explain it to me cuz i was pissed) american express isnt techinically credit like visa is cuz you cant carry a balance.

also if you use it for paying the pump when you get gas as a credit card then it just checks to see if the account is active, if you put in your pin then it actually puts a $50 hold on your account.

im no expert but this is how i understand it at least LOL

security_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-24, 03:38 AM   #2
Lunatic
Ahhh ... sweet pity. Where would my love life be without it?

Send a message via ICQ to Lunatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by security_man
from what i understand if you use your check card as a credit card (ie signing the recipt and not using a pin) then the merchant has to pay a higher processing fee and the purchase can be disputed by the customer, even if its signed for. if you use a pin then there is no doubt that the customer has used it (or at least in a dispute the merchant has an advantage) and cannot dispute the charge so the merchant is off the hook and is guranteed payment. Thats why costco will not accept debit cards as credit cards (i was a member when they changed it and had a manager explain it to me cuz i was pissed) american express isnt techinically credit like visa is cuz you cant carry a balance.

also if you use it for paying the pump when you get gas as a credit card then it just checks to see if the account is active, if you put in your pin then it actually puts a $50 hold on your account.

im no expert but this is how i understand it at least LOL

Sounds like a good explanation to me.