Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-08-30, 04:40 PM   #1
Electra
Trying is the first step towards failure

Some help needed please

I'm trying to set up my DSL on a second computer. I have all the hardware installed but I get the error

"Verifying username and password: Error 691, access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain"

Does anyone know what to do about this?

This was Dravyks computer. Do I need to change the IP address or something?
Old 2009-08-30, 05:30 PM   #2
Electra

Its ok..I figured it out....but now the computer is like a clean slate with none of my passwords and no bookmarks or anything I normally use...oh joy...lots of work putting all my stuff in lol
Old 2009-08-30, 06:41 PM   #3
AIbenjamink
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Glad you figured it out. Aren't you able to transfer your bookmarks and passwords from your primary computer?
Old 2009-08-30, 08:20 PM   #4
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIbenjamink View Post
Glad you figured it out. Aren't you able to transfer your bookmarks and passwords from your primary computer?
I dunno..the computers aren't connected together in any way. Maybe I should put my IE and Mailwasher and Eudora etc on a CD and just install them on the second computer...I never had to do any of this stuff before.
I actually tried talking to someone at Verizon DSL on live time chat and they didn't have a clue.

I can usually figure this stuff out, it just takes me more time than I would like.

Old 2009-09-02, 09:28 AM   #5
Damian

Maybe, and this is a little out there, you could 'network' the computers together?
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 12:55 PM   #6
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Maybe, and this is a little out there, you could 'network' the computers together?
Maybe..I'm actually worried about my main computer crashing or something happening to it that requires repair..in which case I need a second computer. If they were networked together wouldn't solve anything for me if I had a crash.

Its actually a good thing to change some of my stuff over to Dravyks computer since he was working on a lot of stuff that I never had on my PC. Next thing will be to take a look at his projects and see if I will be able to carry on with them or whether I need to hire some programming or design help. Lots and lots of work.
Old 2009-09-02, 02:46 PM   #7
Damian

[quote=Electra;463116] If they were networked together wouldn't solve anything for me if I had a crash.[quote]

Networking means to link the computers together using wifi or ethernet cables so you can transfer information you need from one box to the other. To save you burning stuff to disc etc.

But, and I mean this with no offense, if you don't know that, then you will never figure out how to do it!

Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 08:47 PM   #8
Electra

[quote=Damian;463120][quote=Electra;463116] If they were networked together wouldn't solve anything for me if I had a crash.
Quote:

Networking means to link the computers together using wifi or ethernet cables so you can transfer information you need from one box to the other. To save you burning stuff to disc etc.

But, and I mean this with no offense, if you don't know that, then you will never figure out how to do it!

No offense taken. I never did any of this stuff. Hasn't been my job. Actually I do have ethernet cables but hadn't gotten so far as to transferring anything. I also have a router which I could have used to connect the PC's up so I could just use my DSL with both instead of having it installed separately on the secondary...but that wasn't what I wanted to do. They aren't exactly situated close to each other physically so It just became easier to do it the way I am doing it. I'm sure my cats would love more cables to chew on, they have already chewed through four or five. Now if you could tell me a way to keep them from destroying wires..that would be a huge help lol

Because we worked on the same things there aren't too many programs I need to transfer over. Mostly its files I have worked on since January...everything else was already on his computer. I also have three extra hard drives to connect up as well. I have no idea what's on them yet. Maybe they were backups..just don't know.
Old 2009-09-02, 09:21 PM   #9
MeatPounder
Women might be able to fake orgasms But men can fake whole relationships

what operating systems are you running? (on both)
If xp you can easily transfer most settings if vista almost all settings even more easily (with vista though you will still have to install any programs on the new box, once you do all your personal settings you had in the programs on the original pc will be in the new pc)
MeatPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 10:28 PM   #10
CD Smith
The one and only at your service

Send a message via ICQ to CD Smith
[quote=Electra;463136][quote=Damian;463120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra View Post
If they were networked together wouldn't solve anything for me if I had a crash.

No offense taken. I never did any of this stuff. Hasn't been my job. Actually I do have ethernet cables but hadn't gotten so far as to transferring anything. I also have a router which I could have used to connect the PC's up so I could just use my DSL with both instead of having it installed separately on the secondary...but that wasn't what I wanted to do. They aren't exactly situated close to each other physically so It just became easier to do it the way I am doing it. I'm sure my cats would love more cables to chew on, they have already chewed through four or five. Now if you could tell me a way to keep them from destroying wires..that would be a huge help lol

Because we worked on the same things there aren't too many programs I need to transfer over. Mostly its files I have worked on since January...everything else was already on his computer. I also have three extra hard drives to connect up as well. I have no idea what's on them yet. Maybe they were backups..just don't know.
If the router method isn't doable then the other easy way to transfer files without doing any networking is to just buy an external hard drive. Plug it into one computer, copy data to it, then unplug it and connect it to the t'other one and transfer that data to where you need it.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 10:33 PM   #11
Licker4U
Mean people suck, nice people swallow, are you mean or nice?

Send a message via ICQ to Licker4U Send a message via AIM to Licker4U
Quote:
Now if you could tell me a way to keep them from destroying wires..that would be a huge help
Rub them down with Tobasco sauce, works on kids sucking fingers too late in life....
Old 2009-09-02, 10:43 PM   #12
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPounder View Post
what operating systems are you running? (on both)
If xp you can easily transfer most settings if vista almost all settings even more easily (with vista though you will still have to install any programs on the new box, once you do all your personal settings you had in the programs on the original pc will be in the new pc)
I have XP...people keep telling me I have to upgrade though.
Old 2009-09-02, 10:45 PM   #13
Electra

[quote=CD Smith;463141][quote=Electra;463136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post

If the router method isn't doable then the other easy way to transfer files without doing any networking is to just buy an external hard drive. Plug it into one computer, copy data to it, then unplug it and connect it to the t'other one and transfer that data to where you need it.
I was thinking of doing that. Drav left several hard drives he had plugged in. I just have to check and see what's on them and then maybe I can use one of those. Don't want to destroy anything he was working on.
Old 2009-09-02, 10:48 PM   #14
MeatPounder

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/migrate.mspx
Old 2009-09-03, 02:00 AM   #15
MeatPounder

Just a note on this...if xp is on both machines you do not need the disk

and transfer supports cd and dvd burning as the removable media
Old 2009-09-03, 02:02 AM   #16
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPounder View Post
That is REALLY helpful..thank you very much

One of the next things I have to tackle is replacing the on/off button on my computer...up until now I have been the sort of person who didn't even like to take the top off the computer to clean the dust out.
Old 2009-09-03, 02:06 AM   #17
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licker4U View Post
Rub them down with Tobasco sauce, works on kids sucking fingers too late in life....
That deters my male cat but the female cat is fearless and nothing deters her. She rips up my toilet rolls, has pulled my curtains down and whatever I have to eat she wants some of it. She also has a habit of walking over my keyboard to get to her favorite seat on the window sill.
There are a dozen better ways she can get there but she likes to be annoying.
Old 2009-09-03, 09:19 AM   #18
CD Smith
The one and only at your service

Send a message via ICQ to CD Smith
On a side note it's good to see you posting Electra, and hanging in there and getting your business back in order etc. I can only imagine how this last year has been for you but trust me it gets easier, at least with the computer stuff.

For the cats eating the cables problem you might want to check this out... http://www.electriduct.com/ --- maybe one of those might do the trick.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 10:03 AM   #19
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Smith View Post
On a side note it's good to see you posting Electra, and hanging in there and getting your business back in order etc. I can only imagine how this last year has been for you but trust me it gets easier, at least with the computer stuff.

For the cats eating the cables problem you might want to check this out... http://www.electriduct.com/ --- maybe one of those might do the trick.
Thanks CD. Yes, its been hard but I think the challenge of running the business myself has helped me not to dwell on things as much as I would have. Harry was such a huge part of my life . I couldn't imagine him not being there and then very suddenly he wasn't.

I hope the computer stuff does get easier. My problem is that I was thrown in at about the mid-level with computers and so never really learned the basics. Thats what makes me seem like an idiot LOL. I had never used a computer when I came into the business and Harry was like.."oh don't worry..just do this and this and this and I'll do that and that and that." And there just never seemed enough time in my day to do anything extra. All things considered I think I'm doing well and catching up fast.
Old 2009-09-03, 03:00 PM   #20
Licker4U
Mean people suck, nice people swallow, are you mean or nice?

Send a message via ICQ to Licker4U Send a message via AIM to Licker4U
Quote:
That deters my male cat but the female cat is fearless and nothing deters her.
I'm kind of partial to deep fat fried cat tails dipped in honey mustard sauce....j/k
Old 2009-09-03, 09:34 PM   #21
Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licker4U View Post
I'm kind of partial to deep fat fried cat tails dipped in honey mustard sauce....j/k
In some cultures that's probably considered a tasty treat...kind of like
crispy crunchy termites on a stick.