Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Your view on posting the same message on multiple boards (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=4538)

Ms Naughty 2004-02-05 06:57 PM

Your view on posting the same message on multiple boards

Board Tracker occasionally reveals someone posting the same message across multiple boards. I have read an article on board etiquette that says it's impolite to do this.

At the same time, I'm aware that it's a great way to spread your sig about, start conversations, keep boards moving, and keep in touch with more people, while saving time.

So, what's your view? Should people do it or not?

And now... in a bout of ironic mischief, I've posted this same message to four boards so far. I don't normally do this. Do I deserve a spanking? LOL

Will be interesting to see how four different boards react.

Extreme John 2004-02-05 07:43 PM

I normally dont mind it, but I did recieve an Alert from Board tracker on some shithead sponsor proggie that announced their $30 whatever it was on like 30 different boards, and it was the only alert. Worked out kinda well though because it made for a quick delete.

Personally I dont usually give a shit, but the above is excessive, not to mention on some boards certain topics never get kicking and on others it does really well.

DangerDave 2004-02-05 07:54 PM

IMO its sucks and its spam!

Unless the poster comes back to every thread and has intelligent input - which rarely happens

DD

Ms Naughty 2004-02-05 08:01 PM

Uh-oh, Dave spanked me |bananna|

Actually, I posted this on a total of five boards and stopped because it felt bad. Also realised I could waste too much of my day doing this. LOL. But it is something I've thought about on occasion, wanted to see what others thought.

Alphawolf 2004-02-05 08:44 PM

Depends on what you are posting and on how many boards you post it on.

The age old answer would be...

"It Depends"

:)

Cleo 2004-02-05 08:59 PM

What DD said.

Extreme John 2004-02-05 09:13 PM

Common now Cleo you know you dont read other boards, or better yet if people didnt multiple post stuff think of how many less boards there would be, how less informed everyone would be. I can think of one certain board that gets a ton of posts, and yes some of the posts are business oriented, but if those same posts didnt get posted here by post floaters and you or anyone else didnt care to read that board, well than we would all have a little bit less of a clue, hell there would be No Board Tracker or other great boards.

Alphawolf 2004-02-05 09:18 PM

Does Board Tracker have any good competition?

dallasdeb 2004-02-05 09:57 PM

Quote:

Uh-oh, Dave spanked me
I have warned him about that.... |club| OUCH!!

chilihost 2004-02-05 10:00 PM

I think it is perfectly reasonable to cross post. Personally i only visit a limited number of boards so if someone posted something on here and another board, chances are I would only see it here.

is there any software or website that does cross-posting? ...and provideo tracking of these posts?

cheers,

Luke

Greenguy 2004-02-05 11:23 PM

If it's a legit question, like "I'm having trouble getting whatever to work" or "I need to get in touch with Joe Blow Sponsor ASAP" then it's ok.

It's the ones like "Did you know that 14.8% of webmasters use this browser but only 8.5% of surfers use it?" stuff that annoys the living shit out of me.

And don't even get me started on the ones that only post "Welcome to the board |waves| "

or reply to "Gallery Submits Needed" with stuff like "We have hosted galleries...."

Posting for the sake of getting you sig file out there or making an extra $30 from a program for 5 posts a day on a board is just complete & utter bull shit & serves no purpose what-so-ever in my book.

Thank the Webmaster God's that we embarass most of them enough so they stop posting here :D

DonovanPhillips 2004-02-05 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Greenguy
If it's a legit question, like "I'm having trouble getting whatever to work" or "I need to get in touch with Joe Blow Sponsor ASAP" then it's ok.

It's the ones like "Did you know that 14.8% of webmasters use this browser but only 8.5% of surfers use it?" stuff that annoys the living shit out of me.

And don't even get me started on the ones that only post "Welcome to the board |waves| "

or reply to "Gallery Submits Needed" with stuff like "We have hosted galleries...."

Posting for the sake of getting you sig file out there or making an extra $30 from a program for 5 posts a day on a board is just complete & utter bull shit & serves no purpose what-so-ever in my book.

Thank the Webmaster God's that we embarass most of them enough so they stop posting here :D

What about replying to GreenGuy's posts with something like:

"Do you ever stop to think about what would have happened if Spiderman's Uncle Ben had lived?"

|jester|

Ms Naughty 2004-02-06 12:02 AM

Actually, I was really nervous about posting this thread here. It's such a no-bullshit board that I worry about posting most of the time, wondering if I'm being too frivolous LOL

Quote:

"Do you ever stop to think about what would have happened if Spiderman's Uncle Ben had lived?"
I think he would have become SpiderUncle

More stupid questions
http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/stupid.html
Including:
What kind of fruit is in Juicy Fruit gum?

What makes cheese so confidential that we actually need cheese shredders?

If your car says Dodge on the front of it, do you really need a horn?

Now that Microsoft is so big, should it be called Macrosoft?

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

And answers to stupid questions
http://www.stupidquestionsanswered.com/

OK... NOW I'm being too frivolous

chilihost 2004-02-06 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Greenguy

GG, I totally disagree! I am a stats junkie and if someone tells me that I am using a browser that only 8.5% of surfers use, I want to know. Knowledge is better than ignorance.

Quote:

Thank the Webmaster God's that we embarass most of them enough so they stop posting here
The only thing I can say to that is get off your soap box, thats a bad attitude and reflects poorly on your board!

cheers,

Luke

SomeCreep 2004-02-06 12:51 AM

Re: Your view on posting the same message on multiple boards

Quote:

Originally posted by grandmascrotum
Board Tracker occasionally reveals someone posting the same message across multiple boards. I have read an article on board etiquette that says it's impolite to do this.

I've read the same, but there are times when asking the same question or posting the same message is necessary. Especially considering different boards have different communities of webmasters.

Surfn 2004-02-06 02:01 AM

IMHO as long as you are an active member of the board you can post the same question to it.

teamperfecto 2004-02-06 05:53 AM

Most people only posts and reads a few boards. Not everyone uses Board tracker (I dont..), so in order to reach out to as many as possible, I do think its only smart to post in several boards, not all, but several. So if someone has an interesting announcement that can make other benefit from it, or if someone has something interesting to say regarding business, then I see nothing wrong with doing that.

However, many times I see useless posts that simply doesnt have anything to do with business and its on many boards, and that I think is not good.

adamneve 2004-02-06 06:25 AM

not everybody uses Boardtracker and not everybody is on everyboard

Greenguy 2004-02-06 08:16 AM

chilihost - it's one thing if someone posts & asks "What % of surfers use this browser" & you reply to that.

I'd completely different when you just go around giving out info.

& this is MY HOUSE so if you don't like my soapbox you can leave anytime :D

Mikey 219 2004-02-06 10:54 AM

same message = identical? thats pretty much definition of board spamming, no?

for me, i post on several boards, but follow the rules of the boards because they are set up to be a certain way ... if i have something to hock i might post an announcement on several boards but not copy and paste, and follow the rules ... and I try to help people who are asking questions in my spare time (when vid is encoding for example) rather than just trying to get my sig seen.

I like coming here because i like GG and i want to be like mr mary lou :) ... simpsons sigs are nice also :)

I got a nice pic for you mrmarylou ... wanna see it? dont know if posting pics is allowed here...

Mikey

Jim 2004-02-06 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DangerDave
IMO its sucks and its spam!

Unless the poster comes back to every thread and has intelligent input - which rarely happens

DD

I agree 100%
And if we find it without good reason, we delete it.

spazlabz 2004-02-06 12:43 PM

I only read a couple of boards so I have posted things on multiple boards before. If I need an answer I need an answer. I take the time to thank people who reply when i ask questions on multiple boards too. I think thats important. I guess I would have to say if it is relevant to something other than promoting your own program/site/service I wouldn't have a problem with it. As far as the stupid posts like 'did you know Justin Timberlake get's (Someone I won't name here LOL) leftovers?' well, thats not why I tend to go to boards.

spaz

spookyx 2004-02-06 01:40 PM

I rarely post to even one board

|horse|

Bell 2004-02-07 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by spookyx
I rarely post to even one board

|horse|

that's ture...
you are a rather quite one...

|whisper|

~Bell

iFliPcEsS 2004-02-07 03:22 PM

sometimes you couldnt help it, to put the same topic put of other thread.. but still its all to the members on how they gonna exchange and share their ideas