Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Warning on David Lace (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=4109)

eyesore bri 2004-01-22 06:41 PM

Warning on David Lace

This goes out to any of you that buy or lease content from David Lace.....DONT...... he has had 29 of my sets for some time and been selling them as his own content he has never paid me 1 cent, despite still selling them now and the threat of legal action he still continues not to pay. I have been informed by an ex worker of his that he is stiffing most of his producers and has no intention of paying any of them nor does he keep any records. As he is in breach of contract he has no legal right to issue a licence on my behalf and any that he has issued in the past are void which means that any of u guys that have content from him might well be without a licence so be careful !!!

Alphawolf 2004-01-22 07:53 PM

Well, this is disturbing, if true. :(

eyesore bri 2004-01-22 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alphawolf
Well, this is disturbing, if true. :(
Well its definately true I can assure you, I spent a shit load of time at Internext getting good legal advice a fact of which Surfn can back me up on, but still need more in order to get my money and sue for breach of copyright and breach of contract so if any of u know of a really good attorney give me a shout. I do know that you wouldnt expect this sort of thing from a guy thats been around as long as him and thats one of the reasons why i let him have my content in the first place. If you are really concerned drop me a line and we can see if you have any of my content, but at this time I am not sure who else he is ripping off so can only speak for myself,

Surfn 2004-01-22 08:43 PM

I can vouch for the fact that he was looking for help to get this matter resolved. Each day we were at the show he spoke to someone different on the matter.

I think we all know what it feels like to have someone steal OUR work. |angry|

NotThatKevin 2004-01-22 09:33 PM

eyesore bri that sucks mate. However any webmaster that has bought that content wouldn't know about your problem so I hope you don't invalidate their licenses.

Alphawolf 2004-01-22 10:09 PM

eyesore bri,

Sent you a PM. Thanks for taking a look.

I also E-mailed this thread to him to the e-mail addresses I have.

Since I snagged all of that during the 50% sale...I got a good amount in one shot.

SirMoby 2004-01-23 12:15 AM

eyesore bri

I have purcahsed enough content to be worried about this issue. I purcahsed the content in good faith and had no intentions of stealing from you or using unlicensed content.

Is there a good way that I can verify that I don't have any of your content? I'd like to ensure that it's legal and I'm happy to presure anyone into making things right.

Let me know how to follow up.

Paul Markham2 2004-01-23 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SirMoby
eyesore bri

I have purcahsed enough content to be worried about this issue. I purcahsed the content in good faith and had no intentions of stealing from you or using unlicensed content.

Is there a good way that I can verify that I don't have any of your content? I'd like to ensure that it's legal and I'm happy to presure anyone into making things right.

Let me know how to follow up.

The best way is to post a picture, show us which is your content.

Quote:

eyesore bri that sucks mate. However any webmaster that has bought that content wouldn't know about your problem so I hope you don't invalidate their licenses.
Why not, he shot the stuff, paid all the costs, etc. He got nothing. The licenses should be invalidated and the costs charged back to David Lace.

eyesore bri
Do you still have the content and the documents? If so sell it again and again. Hit me on ICQ I buy exclusive and non exclusive resale rights.

NotThatKevin 2004-01-23 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Markham2
Why not, he shot the stuff, paid all the costs, etc. He got nothing. The licenses should be invalidated and the costs charged back to David Lace.
Because the deal between him and David Lace has got nothing to do with the Webmaster. If a content provider lets a broker sell his content then why the hell should the poor unsuspecting Webmaster be fucked in the eye.

If you made the deal with the broker it's your risk and you shouldn't shove it off on to a Webmaster if the deal turns to shit.

Trev 2004-01-23 02:30 AM

Kevin I don't know the laws down there, but it's the same principal as buying stolen goods.... here... you have to give it back, even if you didn't know it was stolen.

NotThatKevin 2004-01-23 03:39 AM

Trev it's not stolen mate :) The content was given to david Lace to sell. It was a supplier giving goods to a store.

Legaly it is between the supplier and store owner unless of course David Lace stole the content then I agree with you. If it is the later then I will be absolutely amazed that David Lace has gone on the web and stolen content to sell.

Paul Markham2 2004-01-23 03:52 AM

OK Kevin then how do you show David Lace that we will not stand for this?

It's simple he sold a license that was not paid for, at the moment he is in front. The producer has been stuffed and David carries on.

Maybe if he gotr hit with a few chargebacks he might sit up and take notice, unfortunately it's drastic. My other solution was for eyesore bri to resell the content, asuming he still the content he could resell it.

Kevin, come up with another suggestion, asuming eyesore bri is telling us the truth, ask yourself if he's unique or are there more not being paid?

NotThatKevin 2004-01-23 04:19 AM

Paul if David Lace is selling content for eyesore bri then that is a civil case between eysore bri and David Lace. If the store owner (David Lace) refuses to pay his supplier (eyesore bri) then that is a civil case and the consumer (webmaster) cannot be held responsible for the stores (David Lace) actions.

What you are trying to say is that if I buy a pair of Levi's from JeansRUS and JeansRus refuse to pay Levi for that pair of jeans I am not allowed to wear them and must return them.

Furthermore you being a content provider places you in the same boat as Levi (the supplier) so what your saying is that all suppliers now need to refuse the consumer the rights to own what they legaly purchased at a store and return the items if the store owner hasn't paid his supplier? Hmm I don't think so mate |jester|

Paul Markham2 2004-01-23 04:33 AM

OK then.

The chances of him being taken to court are zero and David wins, fuck the producer who gives a shit.

Let me see you say the same about a sponsor not paying. The webmaster needs to charge it back so he does not lose. At the moment DL is up on this deal and so far I have not seen one post that tells us how to punish him.

xxxjay 2004-01-23 04:54 AM

He did a "test shoot" with a girl I know while he was living her in Georgia - he was going under his real name which is like David Totter or something like that. Anyway, he's been selling her unlicensed pictures for a while on his and even has sold them to some big sponsors. There’s a huge lawsuit headed down the pike at him and everyone using her set. I know this firsthand from the girl it happened to.

Don’t trust him.

NotThatKevin 2004-01-23 05:50 AM

Quote:

OK then.

The chances of him being taken to court are zero and David wins, fuck the producer who gives a shit.

That's what happens in business all over the world Paul; people are being fucked over all the time. If eyesore bri can't afford taking DL to court then he can take it to small claims court so there is always a way. Getting your knickers in a twist won't help.

Quote:

Let me see you say the same about a sponsor not paying. The webmaster needs to charge it back so he does not lose.
Who said anything about a sponsor? Go back and re-read my post. Oh ok let me explain it to you again to save you the time. If anyone screws you then take legal ACTION!!! or maybe you don't think legal action is classed as punishment. If you have irrefutable proof which it seems eyesore bri has then the courts will do the punishing not you or I.

Quote:

At the moment DL is up on this deal and so far I have not seen one post that tells us how to punish him.
Ummm you want to take the law into your own hands now? No offence Paul but what can you do to punish DL if you have no legal standing in this case? Run around posting on boards that he's a thief? Then DL sues your ass because just maybe eyesore bri doesn't have the irrefutable proof.

NotThatKevin 2004-01-23 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xxxjay
He did a "test shoot" with a girl I know while he was living her in Georgia - he was going under his real name which is like David Totter or something like that. Anyway, he's been selling her unlicensed pictures for a while on his and even has sold them to some big sponsors. There’s a huge lawsuit headed down the pike at him and everyone using her set. I know this firsthand from the girl it happened to. Don’t trust him.
Jay I've heard the same thing and this is the only way to stop him if he's selling unlicensed content.

eyesore bri 2004-01-23 07:19 AM

Hi Guys

I have no intentions of stiffing anyone or invalidating any licences at this point, this thead was merely meant as a warning so that you guys are aware of what is going on, until i have the full picture on the legal side i wont know how to proceed, but I do know that he can only issue a licence on my behalf under the terms of the contract and as I have not sold him the content only licenced him as a reseller any licences that he issues on my behalf that do not comply with the contract are void. If any of you have my content then we can and will work something out so that you are covered and if it helps me to put pressure on David Lace then all the better. On the proof front I have plenty of emails from david lace stating that he has sold titles of mine and that he owes me money as well as lots of excuses on why i have never had any sales stats and why figures he has given me kept changiing along with the mysterious changing of title names, I have been told that I have a very good case on the legal front, but thats not what this is about. If a guy like David lace is stiffing me and allegedly stiffing other producers he is stiffing you guys too by issuing invalid licences its time we all stuck together and stopped shit like this happening. I will prepare a list of thumbs of the titles that he has of mine and then anyone interested can check to see if they are carrying my content, but this only covers my content and if as i have been told there are other producers in the same boat then we will have to try and find out who they are and take it from there. maybe a few emails to him to ask if the stuff is truly his or is he reselling and then contacting the producer to make sure that they are happy as I can only vouch for myself that I havent been paid and now he wont answer any of my emails anyway so i cant see the situation getting better without legal proceedings

eyesore bri 2004-01-23 07:22 AM

Quote:

eyesore bri
Do you still have the content and the documents? If so sell it again and again. Hit me on ICQ I buy exclusive and non exclusive resale rights.

Thanks for your support Paul, I will be in touch on ICQ later on

eyesore bri 2004-01-23 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xxxjay
He did a "test shoot" with a girl I know while he was living her in Georgia - he was going under his real name which is like David Totter or something like that. Anyway, he's been selling her unlicensed pictures for a while on his and even has sold them to some big sponsors. There’s a huge lawsuit headed down the pike at him and everyone using her set. I know this firsthand from the girl it happened to.

Don’t trust him.

I heard enough stories about law suites etc going at him at the show to fill a small warehouse they cant all be wrong, all that I can say is what goes around comes around and its about time he got what is due

NotThatKevin 2004-01-23 07:56 AM

eyesore bri did you have a lawyer set up your contract with DL?

Paul Markham2 2004-01-23 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by eyesore bri
Thanks for your support Paul, I will be in touch on ICQ later on
You're welcome EB.

I came to Vegas to years ago and spoke to a lot of brokers. Some of them could not look me in the eye when I questioned them about money. IMHO be careful of brokers and get a tight contract.

But to be honest if a mans word is not enough, don't do business with him.

Alphawolf 2004-01-23 08:50 AM

Quote:

Lace Content

Any of this yours, Brian?

eyesore bri 2004-01-23 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alphawolf
Lace Content

Any of this yours, Brian?

Nope none of that is mine

eyesore bri 2004-01-23 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NotThatKevin
eyesore bri did you have a lawyer set up your contract with DL?
Nope it was his standard reseller agreement