Greenguy's Board

Greenguy's Board (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/index.php)
-   General Business Knowledge (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mass traffic vs raindrop traffic (http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/showthread.php?t=47299)

Star Man 2008-05-30 09:55 AM

Mass traffic vs raindrop traffic

I don't know if I'm wording this right so please bare with me.Say you got a site doing around 1:1500 (or whatever) when sending a mass amount of traffic to it at a time.Would that site still convert around 1:1500 with just 'rain drop' traffic? In other words,a little traffic at a time? I got some sponsors I'm thinking about pulling but I don't know if that's a fair way to judge them.

Greenguy 2008-05-30 10:14 AM

The amount of traffic doesn't matter as much as the quality.

That being said, the same quality traffic should convert the same regardless of the amount per hour/day/week (4500 hits/hour should generate 3 sales just as 4500 hits/day should)

Star Man 2008-05-30 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 403938)

That being said, the same quality traffic should convert the same regardless of the amount per hour/day/week (4500 hits/hour should generate 3 sales just as 4500 hits/day should)

Interesting.Thanks GG |thumb

tickler 2008-05-30 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 403938)

Should being the operative keyword.|banghead|

EDSmontreal 2008-06-02 10:49 PM

Quality of traffic certainly should, by common sense, make more sales.

However, I've seen an increase on one of my blogs from 150-200 google hits a day to about 1200 google hits a day, and no increase in conversions. They haven't gone down, the traffic is staying, reading, looking, but conversions have stayed level, no up, no down.

I would like to blame it on my own blog, that it's not optimized to sell, and that it's my fault, which it probably is - but what I don't get is that even with an increase in traffic, sales haven't gone up.

I'm confused! |badidea|

Greenguy 2008-06-03 08:48 AM

EDS - it all depends on what the surfer typed into Google that bought your page up. If they were looking for watersports for their trip to the beach & found your pissing blog, that traffic is not going to convert :D

(I love extreme examples)

justbondage 2008-06-03 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 404530)
EDS - it all depends on what the surfer typed into Google that bought your page up. If they were looking for watersports for their trip to the beach & found your pissing blog, that traffic is not going to convert :D

(I love extreme examples)

Haha great example!

I used to think when I was at 1:300 when I first started out - Happy days, get 10 times the amount of people on my site and $$$ but then it went to 1:500, then 600, then 700.....

Gah! Like people have said, it SHOULD roughly stay the same, but don't start counting chickens etc etc.

bDok 2008-06-03 12:57 PM

Yea I never think my traffic when increased is going to keep conversion of 1:200 or 1:300. I generally look at the type of stats people like greenie, mb, jay, etc. release and can compare across the board what kinda of numbers they are doing with their traffic as I believe that the sample size they are using is a better estimate as to what to expect and if you aren't doing in the ball park of their numbers something is going wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justbondage (Post 404558)
Haha great example!

I used to think when I was at 1:300 when I first started out - Happy days, get 10 times the amount of people on my site and $$$ but then it went to 1:500, then 600, then 700.....

Gah! Like people have said, it SHOULD roughly stay the same, but don't start counting chickens etc etc.

justbondage 2008-06-04 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bDok (Post 404592)
Yea I never think my traffic when increased is going to keep conversion of 1:200 or 1:300.

Heh, I suppose I always knew it wouldn't either, but it doesn't hurt to dream eh?

Toby 2008-06-04 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justbondage (Post 404558)
...it SHOULD roughly stay the same...

That's an erroneous assumption that many would make. In reality the 1:300 was based on a statistically insufficient data sample.

All those math and statistics classes I took in college are useful once in a rare while. ;)