Thread: Why PHP?
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-20, 03:15 PM   #8
HappySpanker
WHO IS FONZY!?! Don't they teach you anything at school?

Would like to toss in a perspective. I have owned/operated a 'vanilla' web hosting company for about 10 years now. Since day one I've offered both Windows and Linux servers, at a point was up to about 50 servers (all of which I built) all told. Maybe a 60/40 split between Linux/Win servers - all of them for ecommerce/shopping-cart sites only, we never accepted static HTML web sites.

Do not know of any web host paying a monthly licensing fee to MS. I was a 'Certified Microsoft Web Host' for a while and even then - there were never any recurring fees. Maybe they enacted some wacky new rev share thingie, but they never pitched me on it at least...

There are some big differences between Linux and Windows:

1. Cost -- Linux is free - Windows is not. Costs me about $1300 per Win server in software (OS and add-ons), zero for a Linux system.

2. Load capability -- Linux can take a MUCH higher traffic load for any CGI-based (PHP, Perl, ASP, etc) sites. I have watched Win servers brought to their knees from 10k concurrent shoppers in an ecom store when a matching Linux box was barely breaking a sweat.

3. Security -- Windows server ware comes out-of-the-box with more security issues than an untended vendor cart at a rock concert. I spend maybe 8-10 hours hardening (and rebooting) each Win server, maybe 2-3 hours on each Linux server. A properly-configured Windows ecommerce server does not even run the 'server' or 'workstation' services.

4. Ease of Admin -- Win servers can be a complete pain in the ass to admin and update. If you so much as breathe on most any software component in the system you will end up having to reboot. We have to do monthly preventative reboots on all our Win servers - yet I have Linux boxen which have not been rebooted in maybe 5 years.

5. Client demands -- Linux systems come almost out-of-the-box ready for most any CGI script a webmaster can throw at them. And you can update scripting engines automatically. Running any PHP, Perl, Python, etc. script on a Win server requires a custom install and configuration of the server and its sites. And then constant, MANUAL checking for exploits or fresh releases of any parsing/script software.

6. Databases -- running SQL (or any flavor) on a Win server is a pain in the ass. GUI interfaces and high resource demands get silly - and you pay for the privilege.

7. User base -- Linux offers an aggressive and zealous user community always ready to help. Windows is a lifestyle based in and for money and the willingness of other server admins and/or webmasters to help out is miniscule in comparison. Webmasters like to use what other webmasters talk about and use. And VERY rarely will one web hosts' setup of Win match any other host, making the sharing of solutions even harder.

MySQL runs like a rock under Linux - because that's what it was written for. PHP runs well under Linux - because that it what it was written for. Perl runs rock solid under Linux - because that it what it was written for. Only ASP and .NET (cringe) were written natively for the Win platform -- everything else was "second thought" re-written or re-purposed for Windows.

Bottom line to us has always been that Win servers require 10 times initial cost and the labor required to install and maintain a decent web server.

PHP is selected more than any other scripting language because of its feature set compared to Perl, its cost, and its existing user base and application pool.

Thus concludes my overly-opinionated rant...

Last edited by HappySpanker; 2008-05-20 at 03:20 PM..
HappySpanker is offline   Reply With Quote