View Single Post
Old 2008-03-28, 10:55 PM   #72
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
As far as I know there is no rule that says you CAN'T link the galleries off the index page.. in fact I know people that do and have done my self...
The person whom I think does the most SEO on his free sites does that very thing and it never fails to impress me. It had never occurred to me to do that, or even that I could.

I'm not really sure as to why I've been so slow to understand what the actual SEO purpose was of this "new" format. (It's probably been clearly stated, but I've been mostly skimming the thread and reacting to little bits.) Anyway, the point, I suppose, it to eliminate mirroring. That way, each link list is directly linked to (and from) the page which Google is indexing and giving juice to, instead of the current manner which is pretty much a lottery. Right now, link lists sort of luck in to being on the mirror which Google mysteriously decides is the one to behold.

Like I've said, when I build free sites, I don't mirror. I build a single copy and submit to my select group of lists. So the new format wouldn't benefit me much as a submitter, other than giving me good reason to submit to more places, but I am beginning to see the bigger picture here. I realize that free sites are no great SEO tool. But I am wondering if they could gain some SE love if they were altered in a similar manner as to what's being suggested. Also, even if the new format proved to be only good for link lists themselves, wouldn't that by default be good for the submitters?

Another point - what if the only the index was changed per kit's suggestion, but the main page was left intact? Anyone have feelings on how that would impact lists and free site builders? My idea would be to place the warning and ad blocks on the left side of the page and place a thin column of recip links in blog roll style down the right site. At least that would eliminate mirroring and dupe content. Though honestly, I'm not sure how much you can do for pages that often 2 or 3 directories deep.

Last edited by Useless; 2008-03-28 at 10:58 PM..
Useless is offline   Reply With Quote