Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Programming & Scripting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-05-21, 09:00 AM   #1
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Effing Ajax rating script

Quick question: Can you think of any reason why an untouched Ajax script would simply stop functioning? Is there some sort of hocus-pocus to Ajax?

Do me a flavor Attempt to rate this link by clicking on the stars below the title and tell me if your vote goes through or if it simply hangs with the loading image after clicking. Thanks in advance. Pretty Feet Tortured
Useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:11 AM   #2
T Pat
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to T Pat
just hangs

I'll Tell You Later
T Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:13 AM   #3
CrazySy
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!

Send a message via ICQ to CrazySy
Same here
CrazySy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:22 AM   #4
bluebrit
Along for the ride and loving it.

I tried it in IE FF and Netscape and It hangs for me after I click the vote link. Sorry mate I don't know what's causing that. Have you added anything to the url that may make it hang?
bluebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:27 AM   #5
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrit View Post
Have you added anything to the url that may make it hang?
Not a thing. Well, not that I am conscious of. I'm constantly poking and prodding at that site, but I don't recall editing the scripts involved in creating those particular pages. I moved servers very recently, but I'm almost positive that the script was still functioning after the move. I wonder if anything server-side effects Ajax? I can put the URL of the vote directly into my browser and make the vote go through, so I know that PHP and mysql are doing their part.

I'm way behind on reviews (surprise, surprise) and now I'm finding myself screwing with these little issues rather than reviewing.
Old 2008-05-21, 09:45 AM   #6
bluebrit

As the link works directly in the browser, try building a page with just the vote option on it and see if the script works like that. If it does then I would guess you have a conflict on the page itself that's stopping the script. Is the link nested inside a form within a form? that can sometimes cause problems.
Old 2008-05-21, 09:54 AM   #7
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Just had a minor, yet confusing, breakthrough. The only change I've made to the script which is responsible for building those comments pages is the removal of an include link for an entirely different Javascript. Now that I've added it back, I can vote. Of course, I don't want that Javascript running since those puritanical cocksuckers at Websnappr have blacklisted me and the thumbs don't appear when you mouseover the links anymore. All I have to do is figure out why that completely unassociated Javascript makes my rating script happy. Fuck me.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:07 AM   #8
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Looks like I have a temporary fix until I feel like looking deeper into code that I won't understand anyway. I'm currently calling in my custom Websnappr code, but hiding the pop-up screenshot. I had the Websnappr thingy first, so I probably edited that or the rating script to make them get play nicely together on the same page. I'll have to figure out what I've done to make the rating script not work all by it's lonesome. Oh yeah, I'm a goddamn genius.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:09 AM   #9
bluebrit

Hmm odd one.
You say you changed servers. I don't know if this would make a diff or not but take a look at ajax.js (I assume your using that) and change the 'this.method' from post to get. Some servers don't always allow post methods. Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help you further with your problem but good luck