Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-05-24, 12:43 PM   #1
Paul&John
Trying is the first step towards failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB View Post
Also let me add .. best to make sure your sponsors are happy with that. There is a good chance you may be done for content theft seeing as you aren't authorised to use their content on your domain. Would be a shame to be cut from a sponsor because you didn't check first that it was ok to rip their content from the fhg's.
If he is talking about galleries which are listed on the tgp/mgp in his sig, then he shouldn't be ok? (the content is hotlinked from ND servers)
Paul&John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 04:07 AM   #2
ecchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul&John View Post
If he is talking about galleries which are listed on the tgp/mgp in his sig, then he shouldn't be ok? (the content is hotlinked from ND servers)
Different sponsors have different agreements with their content supplier, some will only be allowed to use it if the entire gallery is hosted from their server. Also some sponsors are bloody minded or stupid, and will object to this on principle, regardless of the fact that it does them a favour. And thirdly, if he is making a lot of money this way, some dishonest sponsors may use it as an excuse not to pay him. It is wise (probably imperative) that he gets an OK from the sponsors before doing this. I have no doubt that the majority will agree, but he need written or email conformation first, or he will loose out in the long run (i.e. not get paid, get blacklisted for "content theft" or possibly even for hotlinking without permission, his closing him down for same, and possibly criminal prosecution too).

Also - as he lives in the USA he needs a U.S.C. 2257 Compliance Statement, and without details from the sponsor he will not be able to supply this, which could also lead to criminal prosecution.

In short, what he is doing is a good idea, hopefully he is making good money out of it, but I am also hoping that he has read this thread (he has not been back to post since posting that he was doing this) and got a retrospective OK from the sponsors (and also sorted out the U.S.C. 2257 stuff).
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 10:35 AM   #3
Paul&John
Trying is the first step towards failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi View Post
Also - as he lives in the USA he needs a U.S.C. 2257 Compliance Statement, and without details from the sponsor he will not be able to supply this, which could also lead to criminal prosecution.
Hm if i see correctly the images/graphics are also hotlinked, so no adult content is hosted on his part, then he still needs those documents?
Paul&John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 11:48 AM   #4
ecchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul&John View Post
Hm if i see correctly the images/graphics are also hotlinked, so no adult content is hosted on his part, then he still needs those documents?
I am not American, so only know US law from what I read on the boards, but as far as I am aware yes, regardless of where the picture/video is served from, if it appears on your site, you need documentation and a statement about where you can be contacted if someone wants to see that documentation.

One place I get traffic from is picposting, and when this law hit most US picpost sites closed down because it made them illegal (they had to have documents for every posted picture). Most reopened as TGP sites because then they link to a gallery and the picture does not appear on their site.

While typing the above, I also remember a few sponsors stopped giving out free content and switched to hosted galleries to get round this. However by downloading the content Demamma has bypassed this and so needs the docs.

Of course, you should really get an American lawyer to confirm what I just said, because I am not American so have never bothered to check this out properly - it is based on hearsay from the boards. I live in a more civilised country where this sort of rule is looked on as either fascism or communism depending on the politics of whoever is speaking!
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote