Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-04-09, 09:44 AM   #51
CD Smith
The one and only at your service

Send a message via ICQ to CD Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB
If you cold sell the surfer or promise things that aren't offered by the paysite then you are handing the paysite a hot potato so to speak. You may argue that most people presell the sponsor, but I have to say that most affiliates don't do it very well, or over boast what a sponsor has to offer.
Maybe sponsors should be checking their affiliates from time to time and oh, I don't know, maybe cancelling their accounts if they are found to be promising things that the site doesn't deliver? Most of my sponsors provide approved text and I generally base my descriptions on that information, and not on something I pulled out of my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB
Im not a fan of the 4 hour cancel time, but if they have a quality members area (eg nastydollars have great members areas), then I can certianly see it as being a safeguard for the sponsor paying a very nice $35-40pps.
I'm sure there are plenty of good sponsors with excellent sites that do NOT have the 4-hour caveat in their TOS though. Like a few others have said here, it also smacks of being an excuse to shave the affiliate.

You're right, it IS a partnership, even when it is a pay-per-signup agreement.... but I consider my job done if I have properly and honestly referred the intitial sale. After that it is the sponsor's job to keep that sale. Period. Not to mention all the work I did to build my sites and traffic, that's all part of the scenario too. If given a choice between promoting a "4-hour" sponsors and one with no "4-hour" caveat, I'm very likely to go with the latter.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-09, 10:39 AM   #52
LB
I want to set the record straight - I thought the cop was a prostitute

Send a message via ICQ to LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Smith
Maybe sponsors should be checking their affiliates from time to time and oh, I don't know, maybe cancelling their accounts if they are found to be promising things that the site doesn't deliver? Most of my sponsors provide approved text and I generally base my descriptions on that information, and not on something I pulled out of my ass.

I'm sure there are plenty of good sponsors with excellent sites that do NOT have the 4-hour caveat in their TOS though. Like a few others have said here, it also smacks of being an excuse to shave the affiliate.

You're right, it IS a partnership, even when it is a pay-per-signup agreement.... but I consider my job done if I have properly and honestly referred the intitial sale. After that it is the sponsor's job to keep that sale. Period. Not to mention all the work I did to build my sites and traffic, that's all part of the scenario too. If given a choice between promoting a "4-hour" sponsors and one with no "4-hour" caveat, I'm very likely to go with the latter.
You are obviously a responsible webmaster and I am assuming that preselling the surfer responsibly is 2nd nature to you, but not to most.

The fact of the matter is that even a small-medium webmaster program wouldn't have the time to check their webmasters for anything but the worst breaches.

Hell I agree with just about everything said in this thread except for the suggestion that its exclusively the sponsors fault if they dont conver/retain.
LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-09, 11:14 AM   #53
Head Boy
Hello, is this President Clinton? Good! I figured if anyone knew where to get some tang it would be you

A massive j/script binary in the HTML puts me off more than a 4 hour cancellation clause.
Head Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-09, 11:52 AM   #54
airdick
Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Boy
A massive j/script binary in the HTML puts me off more than a 4 hour cancellation clause.
I don't see any javascipt on the mainpage for affiliates, all I see is some flash .

I see some javascript on one of the tour pages I looked at but it didn't look like anything bad to me.

Can you post the offending code or a url?

Last edited by airdick; 2005-04-09 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: typo
airdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-04-09, 01:17 PM   #55
Head Boy
Hello, is this President Clinton? Good! I figured if anyone knew where to get some tang it would be you

It was the index page for one of the sites - the bondage one if I remember correctly. I couldn't display it as I'd turned off j/script. When I viewed the source I found a massive block of binary in a j/script statement. I assume it wasn't malicious, but I've no idea what it does as I just closed out and moved on.
Head Boy is offline   Reply With Quote