Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Newbie Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-04-26, 04:15 PM   #1
virgohippy
Madness is like gravity. All it takes is a little... push.

link trades: keep em fair, or just get em?

Hi all,

Just got my first link trade request for a fairly niche-e-fied freesite hub of mine, in an email. Other party has placed my link on a page 3 clicks deep from their root, on what looks like a link dump for "general adult sites." My hub has only my root warning page and a main page, and they want to exchange links. Also, the two sites don't seem all that compatible.

I'm sure different webmasters take different strategies, but is the old saying, "those with the most links pointing to their site wins" just that simple? I really get the feeling a link exchange with this site won't do me much good... but I'm just a noob, wtf do I know?

If I say no, I'll be sure not to close this door permanently, and spell out exactly why.

What do you guys look for when you exchange links with other sites?
virgohippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 04:44 PM   #2
ponygirl
on vacation

Send a message via ICQ to ponygirl
I personally never respond to spammy email link trades, most of the time they don't even know who you are & you get buried on some 'link page' If it wasn't a solicited trade & you don't know who it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

I prefer to link to those I know so I know they aren't going to pull my link 2 weeks later.

It's been said here before, be careful who you link to - think quality, not quantity

Ponygirl
ponygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 04:48 PM   #3
virgohippy

Tis what I thought. Thanks ponygirl.

In the meantime, one more unreturned link pointing to my hub is kinda nice.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:08 PM   #4
Halfdeck
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to Halfdeck
There are several ways to evaluate good link trades. More backlinks will mean higher PR, but text anchor on those links and other factors will determine relevance.

If you don't want surfers to end up on the site requesting a link from you, don't link to it.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:11 PM   #5
Preacher
There's Xanax in my thurible!

Send a message via ICQ to Preacher
Ponygirl is exactly right, grab the trades you can from people you can trust. The hardest thing to do is to turn down linktrades when you are new and I've run into traders that try to bully you into the losing side of the trade, no matter how tempting just forget it. The trades will come in time.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:27 PM   #6
MrYum
Arghhhh...submit yer sites ya ruddy swabs!

Send a message via ICQ to MrYum
Yup, another vote here for ignoring spammy trades emails. I get em all the time...the longer your site is online...the more of em you'll get.

I trade almost exclusively with other owners from these forums and have plenty of trades. I know my trades are solid and not going anywhere because I trust my trading partners
MrYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 01:06 AM   #7
virgohippy

Thanks again for the feedback people. I said it once before, but I'll say it again: ya'll take good care of your newbies here.

Maybe once ya'll get more used to the slightly fruity after-taste that is virgohippy I'll start hittin ya'll up for trades.
Old 2006-04-27, 04:29 AM   #8
xxxjay

Send a message via ICQ to xxxjay Send a message via AIM to xxxjay
It depends on the purpose of your trade. If the trades is for traffic...then placement on the page is a factor for sure. You might even want to use a hit tracking script.

If you are talking about hardlink trades....a lot of newer guys just that my PR for your PR...like 4 to a 4. Fact is, the PR of a trade is not as important as the relevancy. If the pages are irrelvant, no matter what the PR of the trade...it is not likely to help you as much. I will still trade links with a site with less PR that I have, becasue you are going to assume that the other webmaster will keep trading and eventually the PR of both sites will be equal.
Old 2006-04-30, 11:17 AM   #9
tigermom

Send a message via ICQ to tigermom
I ignore those emails as well. Get tons of them (mostly for my mainstream sites). They are usually not on-topic and on linkfarms type of page, so pretty much worthless for SEO, and don't worry about being fair. If you don't respond, they'll take your link off at some point... and if not, no harm's done
Old 2006-05-02, 09:46 AM   #10
ronnie
Wheither you think you can or you think you can't, Your right.

Send a message via ICQ to ronnie
Many of those types of requests are done with bots or automated software, most times the person never even sees your site anyways. How can that be quality link building. Course think you have your answer already anyways..

Ya the mainstream ones can be a stupid, again because they harvest link trades. Had one, they sold baby clothing and related and they were linking to adult sites, how smart is that.

Sounds like you would'nt have gotten much from the trade anyhow.

ronnie
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 11:09 AM   #11
Big Daddy
Internet! Is that thing still around?

LINK TRADES
When I first got into the biz I was given some good advice: Get out there, get out there, and get out there!!! That, in short it my strategy.

I have done very well over the years, by trading with other amateur sites. A trade that will "stay up" is golden to me. I blow off all bot links and buried shit. I don't care if I'm first middle or last on a good links page, as long as the LINK page is easy to see linked off from the sites main page or pages. Even if the site I traded with is only sending a few hits back, as long as my banner is up for good it’s doing its job. Sometimes the little sites from the sticks send better quality traffic. I'm in this for the long run.

Another system that works is to trade use a few sites and get & give better link placement position to each other, and by sending and receiving more traffic to one another. I do this with web friends I made that are in my own niche. But it's always good to get traffic from different and far reaching sources. I do a little of both of these said techniques.

One more tip. I have been around a long time so have lots of trades and that means mega banners on one banner links page. I’ve had people email me back, saying, “I’m not seeing any traffic coming back!” This is usually because the banner they sent me has nothing to offer. Sure it looks fancy and professional, but no niche, no tits, ass, no nothing! Although a big plain bold white banner just saying BIG BOOBS will also sometimes work. But try to show in your banner, what you’re selling! You have to try to draw the eye of a surfer to your banner. Surfers are impulsive and will click on the first thing they see they like and are gone!

I still work on this monthly, so if you’re not already trading with robertacanyon.com or its sister sites and you want to do a HONEST, LONG LASTING, link trade. Email me at webmaster@robertacanyon.com. A banner for banner or text with title for the same. Be forewarned that you'll be in the middle of my packed page for starters. Send lots, go up, and send little go down. That is unless you offer me something that's really tempting to make me want to put your link elsewhere other than on my Hot Links page. I also have a friend’s page script you can join.

This is my theory and I’ve make a full time living doing it for 7 years now. Hope this helps you out....BD Todd