Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > I'm Looking For.......
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-06-05, 08:05 PM   #1
JohnnyR
I can now put whatever I want in this space :P

Send a message via ICQ to JohnnyR
feedback on dreamhost.com

I've seen they've got some pretty neat plans. I was going to give them a try for that price it would've been worth it. you know, host some minor stuff to begin with, but they've got a $50 setup fee so now I'm reconsidering (got some other options as well).

Anyways, is anyone hosted at dreamhost.com? If so, what has been your experience with them?

Eventually spam some other good hosting companies with good prices. I'm looking for some blog hosting, so not a lot of BW really, but in the future who knows.

Thanks

Last edited by JohnnyR; 2006-06-05 at 08:08 PM..
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 09:26 PM   #2
MrYum
Arghhhh...submit yer sites ya ruddy swabs!

Send a message via ICQ to MrYum
I've heard good and bad about them. The good being they're cheap. Having been burned a couple times with cheap hosts, I'd never select a host solely on that criteria again.

The bad I've heard is their servers tend to be oversold and slow. Again, with a cheap host...this is no surprise.

Guess the short story is...ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. But, personally I sure wouldn't host anything really important there....jmo of course.
MrYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 09:29 PM   #3
amadman
I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, been over the edge for yonks....

I have a plan there but I have never pushed it. Got it when they were having some deal were could get a year of hosting for like $7.77 or something like that. It only costs me like $10 bucks a month now so I just kept it. I figure it cant hurt to have some sites on a different host.

So for me it has worked for a second host. But like MrYum said I dont have anything critical on there.
amadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 03:11 AM   #4
Buncha
Ahhh ... sweet pity. Where would my love life be without it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR
I've seen they've got some pretty neat plans. I was going to give them a try for that price it would've been worth it. you know, host some minor stuff to begin with, but they've got a $50 setup fee so now I'm reconsidering (got some other options as well).
Do a search at google and you should be able to find a coupon for Dreamhost. The coupons will usually cover the setup fees.

I've been using Dreamhost for movie galleries, and I think it's worth the price. There's so much bandwidth that I never have to worry about overages charges. But customer service is pretty slow. You can expect at least a 12-hour turnaround on CS emails. So far I haven't had any major problems, but I still keep my primary sites on another host.
Buncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 12:53 PM   #5
QuickDraw
Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buncha
Do a search at google and you should be able to find a coupon for Dreamhost. The coupons will usually cover the setup fees.
Code 'SAVINGS' should bring a year down to like $22-23 if I remember right, no setup fee. I haven't taken the plunge just yet so I can't comment on their service.. what I've seen others say though is that yes, the servers tend to be a bit slow, but for the amount of disk space and bandwidth you get, it's probably still more then worth it.
QuickDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 05:55 AM   #6
JohnnyR
I can now put whatever I want in this space :P

Send a message via ICQ to JohnnyR
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickDraw
Code 'SAVINGS' should bring a year down to like $22-23 if I remember right, no setup fee. I haven't taken the plunge just yet so I can't comment on their service.. what I've seen others say though is that yes, the servers tend to be a bit slow, but for the amount of disk space and bandwidth you get, it's probably still more then worth it.
Right on:

New Charge: $119.40 (1 year of L1.)
- $97.00 (SAVINGS "the best deal.. 97 off yearly!")
Due Now: $22.40

This ought to be a good deal anyways. Better then blogster and whatnot. Thanks a lot.