Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Search Engines
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-08-03, 08:08 PM   #1
secretagentwilly
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Google Webmaster Tools and Sitemaps

I'm just starting to take the google webmaster tools serious...so I've been verifying my sites with the meta tag and now I'm building sitemaps and uploading them. I have some questions about the sitemaps. What is the deal with those? Has anyone seen any real value from uploading them yet? My biggest question is how the hell is the best way to create them? I have two programs and used one webbased one, all for the same site. One program got 3000 urls another got 540 another got 132. Why the disparity? I've uploaded 2 of them and threw out the other. Is there any issues having two sitemaps? Some of the directories I wanted didn't even get picked up so that was weird. I'm kind of all over the place with this one...any thoughts?
secretagentwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 08:25 PM   #2
justbondage
I want to set the record straight - I thought the cop was a prostitute

There is no issue with having multiple sitemaps.

Basically it makes indexing your site faster because google can zoom through all the pages listed on the sitemap with ease, as opposed to following links on your pages.

It is especially useful if you have dynamic content like index.php?page=wibble (assuming the value of page changes each time) without a sitemap, there is a chance not each page will get indexed, which is obviously a bad thing!

The reason you have such a range is some programs are very simplistic, and list the files in directories, which is great if all your content is .html and .jpg etc etc - others will go into more detail and list dynamic stuffs - you want these listed (for that reason above).

Google Webmaster Tools is an excellent resource. Really top notch.

ICQ - 424617189
justbondage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 03:53 PM   #3
raven1083
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

site map is use so that search engine spider could crawl your internal page easily it act as a map to all search engine spider that is why it is called site map.
Old 2008-08-07, 06:53 PM   #4
horndog
Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like women. You just have to read the manual and press the right button

I've built a few site maps by hand before (wouldn't recommend that by the way if you have a lot of pages), but my hosting comes with a sitemap builder that can scan directories then you just fill in the info and you can submit multiple sitemaps to google.
Sitemaps just make sure SE's find all of your pages.