Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-07-01, 12:48 PM   #1
Verbal
Verbal prefers 56K

Send a message via ICQ to Verbal
Lightbulb New Google Video Player Will Incorporate Payment System

I got this from a newsletter today:

According to Joohn Batelle's Searchblog, Google plans to launch an in-browser video playback feature based on the open source VLC media player.

According to John, Google will make all those videos that were tagged as "free" available for real-time streaming through the VLC player. Google has also modified the player, which will be available for download on Monday morning.

But, it's what John has to say next that really grabs my interest:

"...it's clear this will be integrated with the Google payment program which was revealed to be in process last week. Plenty of folks uploaded video to Google with a payment option, and that has yet to roll out, but you can expect that it will. "

This means that you or I can upload a video, and charge people to download it. I talked about Podcasting in the last issue of the Tribune -- this is the next step.
Old 2005-07-01, 01:12 PM   #2
Verbal
Verbal prefers 56K

Also FYI, the kid who cracked the DVD encryption scheme (deCSS), has already cracked Google's new video viewer.

It took him one day.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,68038,00.html
Old 2005-07-01, 01:19 PM   #3
Verbal
Verbal prefers 56K

Re. Google Video... I wonder how this will effect other sites that are heavily dependant on user submitted content. If I can get paid from Google by allowing them the "privilege" to make my video clip available for download, why would I give it away for free to sites like Consumption Junction, Little Midgets, etc. They may need to compensate submitters in the same manner ($$$) or risk losing their content pool.

There are also some interesting legal and copyright issues involved. Will people get paid for submitting video clips owned/created by someone else? With thousands of videos, how could Google possibly moderate everything?
Old 2005-07-01, 03:10 PM   #4
RawAlex
Took the hint.

Send a message via AIM to RawAlex
If they know who they are paying, then they know who violated copyright. If you want to submit someone else's stuff to make money, well, they will have to know who you are to pay you.

Pretty much makes you open to prosecution.

Sites like CJ and such have no issue - they are FREE. The whole world is different between PPV and free movies.
RawAlex is offline   Reply With Quote