Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-03-27, 09:30 AM   #1
AcidMaX
Programming till my fingers bleed.

What software are you missing?

What software are you missing to make your life as a link list builder, tgp, tube owner easier? Are the current software platforms on the market meeting your expectations for a changing web?
AcidMaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 05:43 AM   #2
ecchi
Banned

None. Years ago I learnt Perl, so now if I need software for any job on my websites I simply write it myself.

I have said often enough to be boring on the subject that any serious webmaster who does not know Perl (or a similar language) should take the time to learn it. Not only does it mean I can have any program I want on my website, and have it configured to do EXACTLY what I want in EXACTLY the way I want it to do the job, it also saves me a lot of time.

For example, if you do free sites you will have hundreds of free sites, if you do gallery submission you will have thousands of galleries. Now imagine one of your main sponsors closes down, or changes it's link code, or is proved to be a major shaver. You either change all your links or loose a hell of a lot of money. Loosing money sucks, but changing all those links takes hours or days, depending on how many sites/galleries you have. It would take me about 10 minutes to write a script that searched my computer for links to that sponsor and changed them for an appropriate link to a different sponsor (unless it was someone I used in a hell of a lot of micro niches, so it had a lot of different changes to make depending on which link the niche was in, that could take up to half an hour to write, but that is still a fraction of the time it would take to do it by hand). I'd let the script run while I did something else, then upload the new files. Or I could save the time spent FTPing as well by writing the program to run on my server, then I'd just have to upload the script, and let it work there.

I have never measured the time saved by Perl, but I would guess that it only took a few months to "pay back" the time I spent learning it, and in the years since has saved me enough time for several long holidays!
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 09:00 AM   #3
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidMaX View Post
What software are you missing to make your life as a link list builder, tgp, tube owner easier? Are the current software platforms on the market meeting your expectations for a changing web?
There's one thing I wish someone would develop.

I call it the Universal Admin. You'd just activate the needed UA modules for all of the scripts you run on all your sites. UA would reconfigure itself based on what modules were activated and then you could use the Universal Admin screens to manage your entire network without having to ever log into any other admin again.

On a typical day I may log into WordPress, Blogs Automator, TGPX, TubeX, LinkX, DragonList, OpenX, DadaMail, Joomla, LinksOrganizer, plus some custom scripts. With some of those there are multiple installations and logins on a variety of domains too.

It sure would be nice to log in just once a day instead of dozens of times.

Yes, I know it's just a dream.

P.S. I do use software which remembers my login details so I don't have to do much besides click the login link if I've logged out (and I usually stay logged in from day to day), but the idea of a Universal Admin is still very appealing.

Last edited by Simon; 2010-03-28 at 09:04 AM..
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 07:17 AM   #4
bluebrit
Along for the ride and loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
the idea of a Universal Admin is still very appealing.
Actually that's not so much of a pipe dream as you may think.
A UA is something I want and it is possible to write such a script, it's just a little technical to fully configure.

If I ever get a spare few months I would write one but like everything in life, it has to take a back seat in favor of other more pressing work.
bluebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 09:55 AM   #5
A.J. Angel
And Lord, we are especially thankful for nuclear power, the cleanest, safest
energy source there is. Except for solar, which is just a pipe dream

Quote:

I call it the Universal Admin. You'd just activate the needed UA modules for all of the scripts you run on all your sites. UA would reconfigure itself based on what modules were activated and then you could use the Universal Admin screens to manage your entire network without having to ever log into any other admin again.

On a typical day I may log into WordPress, Blogs Automator, TGPX, TubeX, LinkX, DragonList, OpenX, DadaMail, Joomla, LinksOrganizer, plus some custom scripts. With some of those there are multiple installations and logins on a variety of domains too.

P.S. I do use software which remembers my login details so I don't have to do much besides click the login link if I've logged out (and I usually stay logged in from day to day), but the idea of a Universal Admin is still very appealing.
The idea sounds awesome but I think that there is a major flaw: security issue. I wouldn't want to imagine what would happen when someone finds out that 1) you have such a script, 2) hacks into it and 3) screws all your sites up.
A.J. Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 07:45 PM   #6
bDok
bang bang

Send a message via ICQ to bDok
Quote:

That is kinda of a dream. One thing I did a long time ago was to have just a little password protected area on a domain of mine that I just have a small html file with links to all my admins. Kinda like a bookmark file that i can get to no matter what computer I'm on. Just nice to be able to click something and get to what I need to.

Plus with blogs it makes it easy for updating. I just command click on all the blog urls for the admin. Then update and close the windows... repeat until done.
Old 2010-03-29, 10:41 PM   #7
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

I don't think what you are asking is that far off base. If you think about it, in reality all of the sites that you publish are really just different templates for content.

A blog uses a template, but, has elements that are based around a published story with some content and a link to somewhere. A tube site is just a different presentation of similar data. Videos have descriptions, ratings, tags, keywords, a detail page, a 'category' listing. A linklist is again just a different presentation of content. The 'article' may be a short description, the title, link to the external site, etc.

So, in reality, everything that is done is really just a different presentation for similar data. A CMS of some sort could handle a single admin for multiple sites, and each site would have different modules and a template. A single admin could recognize the link's parent site, and ask the right questions. I.e. tube = ask for video data. blog = ask for a longer article. linklist = ask for short description.

I don't think a single site admin is that far from reality IF you can rewrite all of the components for each piece of the puzzle.
Old 2010-03-31, 12:27 PM   #8
davion
Trying is the first step towards failure

some semi automatic submitter for link building
davion is offline   Reply With Quote