Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-12-06, 11:55 AM   #1
Steamy
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Send a message via ICQ to Steamy
Hosts and hosting !!!

I wouldn't like this to sound as spam. I am not affiliate nor I will get any benefits from companies mentioned below, but story might help some of you when making decisions before signing any contract with anyone !

Few months ago I signed contract for dedicated hosting with "servepath". Professionally designed web site, good plans... etc.

Problems started on day 1 of my new host with configuring IP numbers on server. Than I got IP# that some spamer was using before me. My e-mails were on spam lists even before I sent first e-mail from my new server (and I never spam). Than faulty router. Than something with firewall, than updating bios, than gateway etc etc... Endless number of support tickets issued by me.
If you are lucky to get anyone on phone from tech support you would get tech guys that usually are polite and ready to help, but every of them with different opinion what is wrong. When I was tired of issuing support tickets and being on hold for tech to answer phone, I started checking different forums to try to find solutions on my own for server related problems.
In one forum I run in to Peter tech guy from hostlogix.com. Peter charged me 1 time 95$ fee to fix some server problem.

For few months him and his partner Klaus were fixing, updating, patching my server without asking me for any additional fee.
Not with one word they were suggesting to me to switch my hosting business to them. They are online 24/7 and I got their help almost immediately after I sent them ICQ message.

When I finally had enough with servpath I canceled my account with proper 30 days notice and told Peter that I want to move my hosting to them.
Soon after we discovered that my transfer rate was caped to 64KB/sec. Than my server was rebooted 2 times during data transfer from one server to another one. I took 4 days to move 25 GB of data ! Very frustrating !

My last support ticket to servepath was answered with this words "Your server is to be disconnected on the 7th of this month. If this is not what you want, please contact billing and update your account."

They also sent me T-shirt, pen and letter of apologies for my trouble! Nice satisfaction for hundreds of hours offline, phone hold time and lost revenues.

Finally my sites are back online and I have more time to concentrate on my business.

I want to thank Peter and Klaus for their patiently and superior technical support.

And advice to everyone. Regardless how good offer sound, do not sign anything with anyone before you check forums like this one and talk to fellow webmasters for recommendation !
Old 2003-12-06, 06:53 PM   #2
JohnnyUtah
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Send a message via ICQ to JohnnyUtah
Yep, good post.
Allways make sure you check out a deal before you get into it.
Specially if this is not a hobby for you but a real money maker.
You could end up loosing big time.

Rock Solid Canadian Hosting
www.bullhosting.com

Us laws scaring you? Contact us today!
JohnnyUtah is offline   Reply With Quote