Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Programming & Scripting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-02-07, 03:48 AM   #1
housekeeper
Oh! I haven't changed since high school and suddenly I am uncool

Send a message via ICQ to housekeeper
Tech Question

I'm posting due to the fact there are some tech savvy members of this forum, also with the oft chance someone may have some insight into my dilema. Last week I went onto Cnet to download a utility, in addition to the utility I also had 2 other programs install themselves onto my computer unbeknownst to me. One I was able to completely delete, the other I've manually removed I'd guess about 98% of, it's seemingly not posing a dire threat, however I need to try and wipe the rest of it off my system because the more these things fester, the deeper in shit you'll stand. It is the 'iminent virus', also known as the iminent toolbar virus. It's a browser highjacker and quite a nusance, certainly haven't heard anything encouraging with respect to it's temper.

Anyhow, and here lies my question. I'm taken it out of my start-up programs, deleted it from the registry and several underlying sub-directories. I've blocked it from my browsers, deleted it as an add-on/browser extension and wiped all the cookies clean, it does however still exist in the title bar of internet explore but the page doesn't load becauuse of the block. I also got an unwanted pop up yesterday which shows it can still rear it's ugly head. But the fact that the link is present in the search bar makes it impossible to use the browser, this is the link: search[dot]iminent[dot] com / ? appId = E9809F5C-7C0A-485D-8559-0727196A76C5 It is no longer effecting Chrome or Firefox. Seamonkey, which is my main browser, never had any alterations or redirects, only cookies showed up originally which I've since blocked, it does not seem to have effected Seamonkey.

At any rate here is my question, I found a plausable last bit of clean up within' the registry but am a tad confused. I've included the screen shots 'CLSID', 'Elevated Policy', and 'TypeLib'. The instuctions are to remove 'random numbers' in those directories, well as you can see there are tons of random numbers, I certainly am unwilling to delete all of them at risk of really sinking the ship. I think it's safe to say the link is called from this string 'E9809F5C-7C0A-485D-8559-0727196A76C5', however I can't locate that within' the registry.

Just looking for some thoughts on the matter, I'm certain everyones gone through a trick bag like this at some point. Problem is finding on-line help is really hard, the majority of the fix's are scams to get you to buy removal tools that may or may not work. In the meantime, fuck Cnet, what a bullshit site.

housekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 10:53 AM   #2
javbucks
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

I've always found for Windows that it's easier to just format and re-install rather than trying to fix deep problems. It can be a hassle if you have tons of data on your computer though but I store all the important things on external hard drives. I also have a neat program called Virtual Box where I have Windows XP and Windows 7 running so I can install new softwares that I don't want to put on my host system.
javbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 04:37 PM   #3
housekeeper

Send a message via ICQ to housekeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by javbucks View Post
I've always found for Windows that it's easier to just format and re-install rather than trying to fix deep problems. It can be a hassle if you have tons of data on your computer though but I store all the important things on external hard drives. I also have a neat program called Virtual Box where I have Windows XP and Windows 7 running so I can install new softwares that I don't want to put on my host system.
Thanks for the reply, I've had to do that once before and certainly if this starts pointing toward a more serious problem, I'll have no choice. I really need to find someone who knows the registry well enough to point me where to delete the existing string, I'm convinced that will spell me.

I'm going to put off the re-format, that is such a royal pain. If anyone here at least know of a good reliable forum or tech site that could offer me some advice, I would be very appreciative.
housekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 11:39 AM   #4
tadpole

Send a message via ICQ to tadpole
Hi,

This reply may be a bit late. I have found majorgeeks.com to be an excellent source of help. A lot of the guys there are Microsoft accredited, and very helpful. They have sorted out every problem I have put to them. You will need to register. Here is the link to their support forum. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ They also have an area with software that has been tested for crap.
Old 2013-09-04, 12:40 AM   #5
javbucks
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

I just install shady stuff on Virtual Box
javbucks is offline   Reply With Quote