Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-02-08, 08:26 AM   #26
miz_wright
Lord help me, I'm just not that bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So far Liz has still not beaten Gonzo to it.

Simon, your rep was correct - right now, while a hack can be thrown into the URL string, I cannot insure that it will track correctly in the back end. To be sure you receive credit for all transactions, I would only send to the front page at this time.
Old 2010-02-08, 09:47 AM   #27
tickler
If there is nobody out there, that's a lot of real estate going to waste!

Please consider some return tracking(cookies,IPs,etc.).

This is not a paysite with impulse buys at a few bucks.

It is a $200 item that surfers will tend to be cost consious about, and do comparison shopping, etc. before actually buying. Probably not returning through your linking code.

Most of my sponsors for physical products in the $100-$1000 range average about a 6 month cookie.
Old 2010-02-08, 10:04 AM   #28
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Thanks, Liz!

I'm really looking forward to having more linking choices at some point.

And definitely, most definitely actually, what Tickler just posted about return tracking. Without that it won't be worth promoting this for very long.
Old 2010-02-10, 10:15 AM   #29
tickler

Quote:
And definitely, most definitely actually, what Tickler just posted about return tracking. Without that it won't be worth promoting this for very long.
And then they disappear.
Old 2010-02-10, 10:57 AM   #30
Toby
Lonewolf Internet Sales

Send a message via ICQ to Toby
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickler View Post
And then they disappear.
Liz is currently in Los Angeles at XBIZ
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 04:56 PM   #31
GonZo
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Liz is currently in Los Angeles at XBIZ
And Im not in Charlotte and my scope on this project has been refined over the last year.

I can tell you that this thing is just getting off the ground.

But I will follow up with Liz.
GonZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 08:40 AM   #32
miz_wright

Quote:
Please consider some return tracking(cookies,IPs,etc.).

This is not a paysite with impulse buys at a few bucks.

It is a $200 item that surfers will tend to be cost consious about, and do comparison shopping, etc. before actually buying. Probably not returning through your linking code.

Most of my sponsors for physical products in the $100-$1000 range average about a 6 month cookie.
Hey, Tickler -- all users have to create a viewer account, which is tied to your ref code. You're golden
Old 2010-02-15, 09:08 AM   #33
Simon

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Liz - I really think Tickler is talking about the *majority* of visitors to the RealTouch site who will not sign up for a viewer account the first time they visit. I say this based on my own stats, which show that only one-third of one percent actually register at the site (that's 3 out of 1,000 or 1:333 who register, for anyone math-challenged).

I would very much like to know that AEBN is putting a mechanism in place to track the other 997 out of 1,000 visitors who do not register but who may come back at any time by simply typing "realtouch' into their browser.

Not golden, not even silver, really not even a bronze awarded on this until long-term tracking is put in place. Can't really justify sending much traffic without that.

Old 2010-02-15, 10:16 AM   #34
miz_wright

Quote:
Liz - I really think Tickler is talking about the *majority* of visitors to the RealTouch site who will not sign up for a viewer account the first time they visit. I say this based on my own stats, which show that only one-third of one percent actually register at the site (that's 3 out of 1,000 or 1:333 who register, for anyone math-challenged).

I would very much like to know that AEBN is putting a mechanism in place to track the other 997 out of 1,000 visitors who do not register but who may come back at any time by simply typing "realtouch' into their browser.

Not golden, not even silver, really not even a bronze awarded on this until long-term tracking is put in place. Can't really justify sending much traffic without that.

Simon, I know that is in the pipeline, but I haven't been given an ETA as yet.
Old 2010-03-04, 07:16 PM   #35
tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAEBN View Post
Simon, I know that is in the pipeline, but I haven't been given an ETA as yet.
I noticed the banners running.

Any ETA yet?
Old 2010-03-05, 02:26 PM   #36
miz_wright

Quote:
I noticed the banners running.

Any ETA yet?
Sadly, not anything firm, though I think we're close.
Old 2010-03-08, 05:19 PM   #37
miz_wright

We have made some enhancements live
Old 2010-03-08, 06:37 PM   #38
Internet! Is that thing still around?

awesome product... price point seems a bit high [to get into the product]. real time content is the future!
Old 2010-03-10, 11:10 AM   #39
tickler

Quote:
We have made some enhancements live
Old 2010-04-13, 07:27 AM   #40
Simon

Unhappy

Well, I got my AEBN newsletter, and now we hear that the Paris Hilton video has been encoded for RealTouch and of course we're being asked to promote that, but there has still been no announcement of a longer tracking period (cookies which take longer to expire, etc) or any other *real* improvements or enhancements which are of benefit to the affiliates marketing this device.

(There are now hosted banners and page peel ads...which are useless as long as the traffic is not converting as fast as the cookies are expiring.)

Worse - if you go to the RealTouch site now, you can see a box on the lower left which is surely killing most sales right now! It pretty much tells the surfers you send to RealTouch that they should *wait* until May before spending any money on this product. The text tells the surfer that 7-day rentals, unlimited rentals, and 'free' usage without needing to rent a video are coming in May.

Weird - in the latest AEBN newsletter there is a mention of something that I hope is just about the changes in video rentals regarding the RealTouch but I'll put the text below so you can see why my first thought was "What the fuck? They're going to rent these machines to people and then take them back and clean them up?" ...but I'm sure I must be wrong about that one.

From the newsletter:
Quote:
These tools are just the beginning. Be on the lookout for more great updates to RealTouch.com, including a rental option for customers which will be available soon!
I've built pages and sites to promote RealTouch and wanted to do more but I can't justify sending traffic to a site which seems to be working at cross purposes to my efforts. That box with the "wait until May" text was what caused me to deactivate my links to RealTouch until we see some real improvements...like at least a 6-month cookie to start with.

Just to see how things are going for others... has anyone who is promoting this gotten their first sale of a RealTouch device yet?

Or anyone have another viewpoint on this?

Old 2010-04-13, 09:48 AM   #41
bluebrit
Along for the ride and loving it.

I think I have waited long enough for something worthwhile to happen with this and to date I have not made a sale and to be honest I don't expect to because this is not an impulse purchase and like Simon I don't think the tracking is anywhere near long enough.

I'm busy today but when I return that top spot banner is getting pulled in favor of something that will sell.
bluebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 10:24 AM   #42
tickler

Thumbs down

Still waiting for 2 months now. Stuff has been setup, but not activated yet.

People do not buy $200 items on impulse on the internet. They will look around for comparable devices & better prices at this dollar level. That's why a return tracking mechanism is needed.

Yeah, and the "Coming in May" Rental/Unlimited/Free is a definite sales killer.

Why would someone sent traffic to the site when they are telling surfers pssst: come back later for a better deal.

That is really fucked up when there is no return tracking.

Anyone Sold A Real Touch Yet
http://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=953893
Old 2010-04-13, 12:44 PM   #43
miz_wright

Quote:
Well, I got my AEBN newsletter, and now we hear that the Paris Hilton video has been encoded for RealTouch and of course we're being asked to promote that, but there has still been no announcement of a longer tracking period (cookies which take longer to expire, etc) or any other *real* improvements or enhancements which are of benefit to the affiliates marketing this device.

(There are now hosted banners and page peel ads...which are useless as long as the traffic is not converting as fast as the cookies are expiring.)

Worse - if you go to the RealTouch site now, you can see a box on the lower left which is surely killing most sales right now! It pretty much tells the surfers you send to RealTouch that they should *wait* until May before spending any money on this product. The text tells the surfer that 7-day rentals, unlimited rentals, and 'free' usage without needing to rent a video are coming in May.

Weird - in the latest AEBN newsletter there is a mention of something that I hope is just about the changes in video rentals regarding the RealTouch but I'll put the text below so you can see why my first thought was "What the fuck? They're going to rent these machines to people and then take them back and clean them up?" ...but I'm sure I must be wrong about that one.

From the newsletter:

I've built pages and sites to promote RealTouch and wanted to do more but I can't justify sending traffic to a site which seems to be working at cross purposes to my efforts. That box with the "wait until May" text was what caused me to deactivate my links to RealTouch until we see some real improvements...like at least a 6-month cookie to start with.

Just to see how things are going for others... has anyone who is promoting this gotten their first sale of a RealTouch device yet?

Or anyone have another viewpoint on this?

I understand why you'd feel like that's a sales killer, but in all honesty, we've seen conversions go up since we implemented the 'coming soon" news bits. Cookies have also shown a marked increase on conversions for most affiliates, though given the price point and learning curve, it's still a slow sell.

I can totally see where the term "rental" trips your squick factor - but we're talking about the movies themselves, silly! I can't even imagine renting the devices *shudder* Gross. Basically - we've been taking user feedback all along, and the one thing we kept hearing over and over again was users wanted an option to reconsume content over a period of time, or to have a sense of ownership. So that's what we are providing them - content rentals. There are two options here - a proscribed period rental (7 days) in which he can experience the movie however many times he chooses, or an indefinite rental in which the movie remains his to experience at will always.

Please always feel free to hit me up if something is unclear - that's why we're here! - and sometimes, I don't get to the boards that often, with all the other stuff going on in a day.
Old 2010-04-14, 01:28 PM   #44
tickler

The return tracking issue still doesn't seem to be addressed?

Or did I miss understanding something in the answer?
Old 2010-04-14, 02:11 PM   #45
miz_wright

Quote:
The return tracking issue still doesn't seem to be addressed?

Or did I miss understanding something in the answer?
I'm not sure I know which question I missed?
Old 2010-04-14, 02:30 PM   #46
tickler

Quote:
I'm not sure I know which question I missed?
Three people in a row asked the same thing about return tracking.

Quote:
.... but there has still been no announcement of a longer tracking period (cookies which take longer to expire, etc) or any other *real* improvements or enhancements which are of benefit to the affiliates marketing this device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrit View Post
... this is not an impulse purchase and like Simon I don't think the tracking is anywhere near long enough.
Quote:
.... That's why a return tracking mechanism is needed.
Old 2010-04-14, 02:53 PM   #47
miz_wright

Quote:
Three people in a row asked the same thing about return tracking.
We have implemented cookie tracking, and will continue to work with various settings to determine the optimal length for the tracking, that best serves our webmasters but doesn't cannibalise other webmasters.

Currently, we have a 30-day cookie in place - and we have seen a pretty solid uptick for webmasters as a result. All of our reps are constantly taking feedback, too, and submitting for review on how to best optimist the program to meet the needs of our affilaites -- so please make sure that you let your individual reps know what you would find helpful.
Old 2010-04-14, 03:40 PM   #48
Simon

Quote:
We have implemented cookie tracking, and will continue to work with various settings to determine the optimal length for the tracking, that best serves our webmasters but doesn't cannibalise other webmasters.
A moment for clarification please. I'm not sure at all what you mean by the phrase in bold above since existing cookies are *overwritten* by the next cookie. So the minimum of 6-month cookie that affiliates are telling AEBN are needed for selling higher ticket items are only going to last those six months *if* the surfer never clicks a link on a website where another webmaster is promoting RealTouch. That new cookie would replace the existing cookie and the latest webmaster would get credit for that sale anyway.

The only kind of cannibalization that would really occur is that AEBN would wind up having its own "no cookie" sales reduced because it would be paying the affiliate who originally sent them that surfer (more than 30-days ago) ... as it *should* be doing right now.

Affiliates know the only reason for short cookies is so that the sponsor does not have to pay the affiliate past a certain point. And most affiliates are getting really tired of sponsors who take their traffic and then wind up not paying them when the surfer finally decides to buy.

I know you always try to help, Liz... but I really hope AEBN gets on this Clue Train before it leaves the station.

Old 2010-05-06, 04:01 PM   #49
ppo_tommy
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Send a message via ICQ to ppo_tommy
just so new

how is everyone doing today i am new on here an trying to get the feel for things
ppo_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:02 PM   #50
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppo_tommy View Post
how is everyone doing today i am new on here an trying to get the feel for things
Someone needs to fine tune their bot.