Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > Newbie Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-06-28, 06:11 PM   #1
kitty_kate
Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like women. You just have to read the manual and press the right button

Send a message via ICQ to kitty_kate
Submitting question

Reading the submit rules for LLs, I've noticed that many of them are requiring to submit them an URL like domain/folder/ or domain/folder/index.html

Here follows the "problem":
- I choose to place 6 recips on submitted page. This means that, in theory, I'll have to create 10 folders, one for each group of recips ( I only have 60 LLs in my database now).

What should I do with the rest of the pages and the content? Should I make 10 copies of my free site in 10 folders, one for every group of 6 recips? Or I could just place the warning pages (index.html) in the afore-mentioned folders and the rest of the free site in "root" directory?

If I should make more copies of the same free site for every group of six recips, I'm gonna fill out hard drives at an amazing rate (just think about a database of 300 LLs and around 8 megs per free site).

If I should place the content + main page + gallery pages in "site root" and the warning pages in subfolders, this won't turn the LLs owners mad? I mean, am I allowed to place content outside of the directory where the warning page is?

How did you gurus solved this one?
Old 2006-06-28, 06:30 PM   #2
MadMax
"Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes" ~ Satan

Location: Motor City, baby, where carjacking was invented! Now GIMME THOSE SHOES!
While some LLs are pretty anal about being on "index.html", most arent.

Greenie mentioned this ages ago and it still works fine:

You can put index.html, index.htm, index.shtml, warning.html, warning.htm, warning.shtml (ad infinitum) in the same folder. There are 3 "index" pages for the LLs who insist on being on them, and an infinite number of additional pages for other LLs, all in the same folder.

There are arguements for and against this method, but I think it works just dandy

Also, I'd got up to 9 or 10 recips per page...that gets you 60 LLs on 6 pages instead of 10
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 08:53 PM   #3
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
You can put index.html, index.htm, index.shtml, warning.html, warning.htm, warning.shtml (ad infinitum) in the same folder. There are 3 "index" pages for the LLs who insist on being on them, and an infinite number of additional pages for other LLs, all in the same folder.
I'm going to hijack this thread.

If we were smart, and I have no doubt that we aren't , wouldn't we be demanding that the first page of a free site be named with a keyword phrase rather than 'index'? I've sat here scrathing at my various itchy parts numerous times, thinking to myself, I'd prefer to have my recip on useless-is-a-fucking-cunt.html along with a few other semi-worthy lists' recips than be on the index with a bunch of lists run by cocksuckers I wouldn't even accept submissions from.

Just a thought.
Old 2006-06-28, 10:12 PM   #4
MadMax
"Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes" ~ Satan

Location: Motor City, baby, where carjacking was invented! Now GIMME THOSE SHOES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless Warrior
I'm going to hijack this thread.

If we were smart, and I have no doubt that we aren't , wouldn't we be demanding that the first page of a free site be named with a keyword phrase rather than 'index'? I've sat here scrathing at my various itchy parts numerous times, thinking to myself, I'd prefer to have my recip on useless-is-a-fucking-cunt.html along with a few other semi-worthy lists' recips than be on the index with a bunch of lists run by cocksuckers I wouldn't even accept submissions from.

Just a thought.
Right there with ya. You'll notice I've never adopted the "index only" rule
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 10:42 PM   #5
MrYum
Arghhhh...submit yer sites ya ruddy swabs!

Send a message via ICQ to MrYum
Yup, definitely agree with Max...bump the number of recips per page up

6 is pretty much a minimum...you'll be better off at 9 to 12 per page. Once you get more comfortable with things, you can even pump it up to 15 to 18 pretty easily with custom recips.

As to page names, I used to always use keyword.html for page names. But, there are a few large lists that insist on index only, so I caved and went to that build style. Simply duplicated pages into different /keyword/ folders...altered text and keyterms on the pages and created 3 different versions of each free site...all based on the same set of content. 16 recips per site...3 sites...48 link lists.

Either way will work fine, but you will run into a few lists that do insist on index only recips.

Added: Forgot to mention, I do not require index only recips myself
MrYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 12:40 AM   #6
Halfdeck
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to Halfdeck
Quote:
If we were smart, and I have no doubt that we aren't , wouldn't we be demanding that the first page of a free site be named with a keyword phrase rather than 'index'?
Keywords in filenames don't really make a huge difference in ranking - especially on a free site - but using keyword.html instead of index.html will saveguard that page from canonical mixups and split PR, which means a LL has a better chance of getting linked back from a PR 2-3 page instead of a PR 0.
Old 2006-06-29, 01:24 AM   #7
Preacher
There's Xanax in my thurible!

Send a message via ICQ to Preacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_kate
...( I only have 60 LLs in my database now)...
Uh, database?

Please don't tell me you are going to use an autosubmitter.

But to answer your question, you wouldn't have to copy the entire free-site into different folders, just the index or the index/main and gallery pages. The pictures can sit in their own directory one level up. But most LL owners I have spoken to about this let the index rule slide if the submitter is a good and trusted builder. The problem is if you are using an autosubmitter you won't be a trusted builder.
Old 2006-06-29, 01:56 AM   #8
Jel
I'm the only guy in the world who has to wake up to have a nightmare

I whittled my true index page recip table to 12-16 LLs, sometimes I use all of those, sometimes I dont (eg if a LL accepts no sponsor content at all).

There are a ton of good LLs that don't demand you be on the true index, I stick to around 30 or so, and name the page as stated previously: keywordorphrase.html and name *that* freesite the same keywordorphrase . 4 mirrors max, each with different titles, and named that title and all in the same folder.

So something like:

Big Tits Blonde
index.html
mainpage (named keyphrase.html)
gallery 1 (named keyphrase.html)
gallery 2 (named keyphrase.html)

and in the same folder:
blondebigtits.html (page title and freesite title Blonde Big Tits)
blondbigtits.html (page title and freesite title Blond Big Tits)
bigtitsblond.html (page title and freesite title Big Tits Blond)

with each of those having 9 - 12 recips. Change up description tags and on-page text to account for the different combos/spelling and I'm all set.

*edited to add:

I'm another on the list that doesn't require my recip on the true index

Last edited by Jel; 2006-06-29 at 01:58 AM..
Jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 02:14 AM   #9
Maj. Stress
Progress rarely comes in buckets, it normally comes in teaspoons

This is an interesting discussion. Does anyone understand the term "dangling links"?
It does not matter what you name the page once you go beyond the index of the folder. index1.html, warning.html or whatever.html. If you leave the page hangin it is of no use in the search engine world and will be treated accordingly.
Submitting anything other than a index page is in my opionion se suicide and I have no use for them.

Last edited by Maj. Stress; 2006-06-29 at 02:16 AM..
Maj. Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 06:37 AM   #10
Licker4U
Mean people suck, nice people swallow, are you mean or nice?

Send a message via ICQ to Licker4U Send a message via AIM to Licker4U
Is there a problem with making 15 copies of an index page and give each one it's own name, change a few meta's and maybe some page text? Each one resides in it's own folder so it can end with /index/ and be a true index page. Other than a very few link lists that require that all pages sit in the same directory, is there a problem for doing this?
Licker4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 06:42 AM   #11
kitty_kate
Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like women. You just have to read the manual and press the right button

@Preacher: I've used the word "database" without reffering to an auto-submitter. As I said in my first post, I have some background in the mainstream, but not as a designer but as a php/mysql coder (3 years and counting). Now, let me uncover one of my secrets about this: As I intend to submit to as much LLs as possible, I really don't have the time to create by hand all the pages with recips on them. I'm building an automated system in php/mysql who will generate the recips pages on my hard drive and will list me all the url's of those pages. I'd say it is a clever way to spare a lot of time (consider 300 LLs to submit and the fact I intended putting 6 recips per page, this means 50 pages to create - considering 1 minute for page creation, there are 50 minutes just for creating the recip pages).

I surely don't want to spend an hour for every free site just for creating recip pages when I could have this done in less than 1 minute (guess you wouldn't either).

Then with the help of a good form filler, I'll submit my free sites. So, this is why I've used the word "database", because I'm putting the recips in an mysql database.

About the pages named with keywords, from my previous experience won't help much if that keyword is not present on the page.
Old 2006-06-29, 07:05 AM   #12
Licker4U
Mean people suck, nice people swallow, are you mean or nice?

Send a message via ICQ to Licker4U Send a message via AIM to Licker4U
Don't know anything about php/mysql but once a recip table is made, I call it with SSI so I never have to make new recip tables. They sit on the server and a short line of code/text on the page and it's done.
Licker4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 07:29 AM   #13
kitty_kate

My script will work this way (is not ready yet): I give him the url of my free site's index, he takes the recip tables from a mysql database and place them in groups of 6 (for now), creates a new .html file based on my index.html + recips and writes it to disk. When finished all the recips, il will give me all the urls for the generated pages, this way I only have to copy-paste them.
Old 2006-06-29, 09:04 AM   #14
kitty_kate

One thing I did not thinked abouth, though: I could just create by hand the recip pages and the re-use them by copying into all gallery folders.
So it is true what they say about us, that we tend to complicate things lol.
Old 2006-06-29, 09:26 AM   #15
Simon
That which does not kill us, will try, try again.

Send a message via ICQ to Simon Send a message via AIM to Simon Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. Stress
This is an interesting discussion. Does anyone understand the term "dangling links"? It does not matter what you name the page once you go beyond the index of the folder. index1.html, warning.html or whatever.html. If you leave the page hangin it is of no use in the search engine world and will be treated accordingly. Submitting anything other than a index page is in my opionion se suicide and I have no use for them.
I know there are lots of folks who put no stock in Google PageRank these days. Or have their own ways of using the numbers. But for anyone who doesn't know what a dangling link is, and is interested, here's an article to give you some background.

I'd be interested in seeing these ideas discussed here sometime, as they relate to the link list and free site dynamics.
Old 2006-06-29, 12:25 PM   #16
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_kate
About the pages named with keywords, from my previous experience won't help much if that keyword is not present on the page.
Um, why wouldn't it be? I wasn't suggesting that you submit a MILF site with your pages named broken-physics.html, etc.

As far as dangling link and their affect on that voodoo, that you do, called PR, I am one of those people who thinks that PR is for pussies. There are plenty of new link lists out there with much better PR than any of my pages, yet they sweep in an amazing 15 SE hits each day.

Also, I don't see where that article says anything about the name of the pages.
"Dangling links are simply links that point to any page with no outgoing links. They affect the model because it is not clear where their weight should be distributed, and there are a large number of them. Often these dangling links are simply pages that we have not downloaded yet..........Because dangling links do not affect the ranking of any other page directly, we simply remove them from the system until all the PageRanks are calculated. After all the PageRanks are calculated they can be added back in without affecting things significantly." So, it doesn't appear to matter if you name a page index.html or cocksucker.html. What matters is, whether the bot can continue to follow your web, or is that page a dead end. That's what I'm getting out that article, anyway. (Thanks for adding another link in my favorites, Simon )

As soon as the SE's stop sending traffic to my keyword-keyword.html pages, I'll let you all know. Until then, I remain an advocate of keyword naming your pages, images, pets, children, whatever.
Old 2006-06-29, 01:32 PM   #17
Preacher
There's Xanax in my thurible!

Send a message via ICQ to Preacher
Quote:
As far as dangling link and their affect on that voodoo, that you do, called PR, I am one of those people who thinks that PR is for pussies. There are plenty of new link lists out there with much better PR than any of my pages, yet they sweep in an amazing 15 SE hits each day.
Seconded! Relevant links seem to be more important then high PR links.

And I also missed how a mirrored free-site structure keyword named or not would be a dangling link.
Old 2006-06-29, 07:04 PM   #18
Tommy
NYC Boy That Moved To The Island

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy
you can have as many recips as you want on sites you submit to me

the more merryer

I could never understand whats the big deal with all these STUPID rules
most of these sites dont even have any traffic

sometimes I think its a matter of a mini power trip

if submiting to a site becomes a hassle then you should just move on. Let them learn the hard way that good submiters are a VALUABLE asset
Old 2006-06-29, 07:22 PM   #19
kitty_kate

Hello Tommy

Just a quick question about a rule from your submit page that says: "Free Sites 20 pics, Gallerys 16 Pics".

Do you think the free site I've presented in this thread http://www.greenguysboard.com/board/...ad.php?t=32526 for review could have a chance to be listed at your Link List?
Old 2006-06-29, 08:00 PM   #20
Tommy
NYC Boy That Moved To The Island

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy
yeah i would list that

I actually like it
its really clean and professional looking

the only thing I would change id it was mine is I would link the thumbs on the main page for gallery1 and gallery 2 and maybe make the text links a tad bigger

but like i said i would link it as it is
Old 2006-06-30, 02:31 AM   #21
Halfdeck
You can now put whatever you want in this space :)

Send a message via ICQ to Halfdeck
Index.html or SE suicide? Lol you must be kidding. I only use index.html for the domain root and I'll keep it that way.

I'll have to agree with Useless on the dangling links. Besides, there are no dangling links on a free site, not that I care. Anyway, no matter what you name your warning page, unless you do something seriously wrong, it's going to end up with a PR 2-3+ in a month or two. LLs with recips on that page will get a slice of that PR (as long as the site doesn't get delisted). Filenames are IRRELEVANT to the SEs unless you're bottom fishing 1,000 result keywords or you're optimizing for Google Images.

PR matters when you're trying to get a site fully indexed in Google. If you have a 100 page LL, you could have it all indexed with PR 0 (or maybe not). If you want to lay your LL out like DD or Jays XXX, you're not gonna pull it off with a PR 2.

PR for sake of higher ranking is so fucking 2001 (or whenever).
Old 2006-06-30, 08:57 PM   #22
nomercy
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Send a message via ICQ to nomercy
I was about to ask a similar question. Thanks for the info.

I still have a question though about the way I'm naming the folders... I was thinking about structuring my freesites like this:

http://domain.com/freesite_name/enter/
http://domain.com/freesite_name/Entrance/
http://domain.com/freesite_name/EnterHere/
http://domain.com/freesite_name/Warning/

and so on... with the index.html and correct recips in each of those folders. Would that be acceptable or would most Link Lists owners want the folder that their recip resides in to have a meaningful keyword, as opposed or 'enter' or 'warning', etc, appended to the main freesites/keyword folder?

I didn't think that would matter because the URL itself and the index page would have plenty of relevant keywords, just the immediate folder name wouldn't be relevant.

e.g. http://bikerbabesonharleys.com/double_bubble_beach_blond_biker_babes/Warning/

Anyway, either way is fine. I just wanted to ask before I submitted any in that format.
nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 09:27 PM   #23
MrYum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercy
I was about to ask a similar question. Thanks for the info.

I still have a question though about the way I'm naming the folders... I was thinking about structuring my freesites like this:

http://domain.com/freesite_name/enter/
http://domain.com/freesite_name/Entrance/
http://domain.com/freesite_name/EnterHere/
http://domain.com/freesite_name/Warning/

and so on... with the index.html and correct recips in each of those folders. Would that be acceptable or would most Link Lists owners want the folder that their recip resides in to have a meaningful keyword, as opposed or 'enter' or 'warning', etc, appended to the main freesites/keyword folder?

I didn't think that would matter because the URL itself and the index page would have plenty of relevant keywords, just the immediate folder name wouldn't be relevant.

e.g. http://bikerbabesonharleys.com/doubl...babes/Warning/

Anyway, either way is fine. I just wanted to ask before I submitted any in that format.
To some extent, it becomes a matter of preference. Everyone develops what works best for them and still complies with the rules. Using your example, looks like you should be able to keep track of your sites pretty well that way. And I highly doubt any reviewer would decline your sites using that structure.

I track free sites with a spreadsheet containing all relevant data to the site...url, content used, paysite affiliate link code...blah blah blah. Doing so enables being able to use a different keyterm for each 'mirror'. ex..

buymyporn.com/hornyblondes/
buymyporn.com/hotsexyblondes/
buymyporn.com/blondesluts/

For each site...the keyterms on the pages are altered to match up with the folder. 16 recips per site/3 sites/48 link lists...all using the same set of content. This process does take longer than simply duplicating the sites across different folders. But, it isn't too bad once you get used to it
Old 2006-06-30, 10:28 PM   #24
nomercy
Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?

Send a message via ICQ to nomercy
Thanks for sharing that. I was thinking sort of along those lines as well, but thought I was being too anal and obsessing about too many details. I do see the benefits to doing it that way though.

I write PHP/MySQL, Unix shell scripts to organize things sometimes, but I'm trying to break the habit of spending too much time on the writing 'duct tape' type tools rather than actually using them for the purposes I intended. But a simple spreadsheet seems like it would help out a lot without getting sucked into a bunch of coding to catalog URLs, content, etc. I just might try that. Thanks.
nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 11:48 PM   #25
MrYum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercy
Thanks for sharing that. I was thinking sort of along those lines as well, but thought I was being too anal and obsessing about too many details. I do see the benefits to doing it that way though.

I write PHP/MySQL, Unix shell scripts to organize things sometimes, but I'm trying to break the habit of spending too much time on the writing 'duct tape' type tools rather than actually using them for the purposes I intended. But a simple spreadsheet seems like it would help out a lot without getting sucked into a bunch of coding to catalog URLs, content, etc. I just might try that. Thanks.
Yea...it IS very easy in this biz to get caught up in the little things. Try to use the KISS principle whenever possible

Spreadsheets are a great tool...very easy to set up and convenient as hell. But then, I come from an accounting background...so I'm sorta used to spreadsheets

I've got car maintenance set up...lawn tractor...motorcycle...all on spreadsheets