Greenguy's Board

Go Back   Greenguy's Board > General Business Knowledge
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2005-03-01, 01:04 PM   #26
deleuze
A woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!

Send a message via ICQ to deleuze
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireorange
A skimmed TGP/MGP makes no money.

Tell that to the owner of http://www.spermshack.com/
You know how much he makes? Obviously a lot of skimmed TGPs make money but it is nothing compared to what a non-skimmed TGP of equal size makes. Skimmed traffic for the most part is garbage as most of the money a site makes is from bookmarkers, SEs and perm links. The only reason to keep up a skim is to increase traffic - you may be able to double your traffic by skimming but the revenue increase would be minimal. Most TGP owners either; a) have an ego so big that it clouds their judgement thus preventing them from seeing the long term benefits of running a clean site; or b) skim to increase traffic so they can sell off gallery spots easier. It doesn't mean that the gallery spots will generate more sales - it's just that it is much easier to sell them if you can say your site has 300K as opposed to 150K.
deleuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-01, 01:12 PM   #27
Undisputed1
A woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleuze
You know how much he makes? Obviously a lot of skimmed TGPs make money but it is nothing compared to what a non-skimmed TGP of equal size makes. Skimmed traffic for the most part is garbage as most of the money a site makes is from bookmarkers, SEs and perm links. The only reason to keep up a skim is to increase traffic - you may be able to double your traffic by skimming but the revenue increase would be minimal. Most TGP owners either; a) have an ego so big that it clouds their judgement thus preventing them from seeing the long term benefits of running a clean site; or b) skim to increase traffic so they can sell off gallery spots easier. It doesn't mean that the gallery spots will generate more sales - it's just that it is much easier to sell them if you can say your site has 300K as opposed to 150K.

I agree, but I personally don't care if my site is 300K or 150K if the money is the same. I am happy. I am also happy if my bookmarkers are happy and not getting jerked around. Plus I'd rather save the bandwidth, and when my site gets big enough to charge for gallery spots or whatever. It will be for a very small fee.
Old 2005-03-01, 05:28 PM   #28
GeorgeTH
Don't let a programmer design your front-end pages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNteria
There's no money in tgps Sly, no one should submit galleries.
this must come from somebody who believes in dancing and |santaslei

But don't let me rob your illusions...
Old 2005-03-02, 02:36 PM   #29
HowlingWulf
Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Send a message via ICQ to HowlingWulf
So how many people knocking skim tgps have ever owned one? I'm guessing none.
HowlingWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-02, 02:53 PM   #30
deleuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingWulf
I still own two. I also own 2 non-skim ones. So I speak from experience when I say skimming is practically worthless.
Old 2005-03-02, 03:06 PM   #31
Useless
Certified Nice Person

Send a message via ICQ to Useless
Quote:
Used to own two, but I yanked the trading scripts when I saw the correlation between installing the scripts and my sales coming to a screaming halt. Months later and I'm still trying win back the surfers. But at least I get the occasional sale.
Old 2005-03-03, 10:07 AM   #32
HowlingWulf
Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Send a message via ICQ to HowlingWulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleuze
I still own two. I also own 2 non-skim ones. So I speak from experience when I say skimming is practically worthless.
Worthless for your sites, sure. Many skim tgps are that way because it brings in more money. Sorry it didn't work for you.
HowlingWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-03, 03:58 PM   #33
deleuze

Quote:
Worthless for your sites, sure. Many skim tgps are that way because it brings in more money.
Short term, yes. Long term, no.
Old 2005-03-03, 05:05 PM   #34
Mizz B
Lord help me, I'm just not that bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed1
My skim is at 70% to galleries and plan on increasing it. My bookmarkers are growing an their productivity is around 300% daily
Curious as to whether you accept gallery submissions or just trades? I don't see a link to a submission page on your site.
Mizz B is offline   Reply With Quote